Honored Contributor

I just scanned through her post from back in December.  She seems to start posts with the same financial theme, but then never comes back.  Hence, I think I won't bother with any advice.  Something amiss here, IMHO.

Esteemed Contributor

There is a reason why Money Gram wouldn't let the "sister" and "husband" get the money.

Honored Contributor

I think they are  more careful about people sending large amounts of money overseas, because of possible terrorism links

This  could be part of why she  is questioned  so intensely

Trusted Contributor

It was difficult to send money to Uganda to an individual who we supported for about 20 years thru Compassion International.  He now is in ministry helping kids on the street.  Western Union thought we were getting scammed.  My husband had to argue with them.  He did send some money thru our credit union.

Esteemed Contributor

Here's a link that explains the grandparent scam. 

"Timmy" calls grandma and tells her that he's in trouble and needs money, but to keep it a secret between the two of them.

But, subsititute "grandson" for "sister", "cousin", etc, and it works the same way.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/grandparent-scam-explained-by-former-scammer-what-you-need-to-know/

Trusted Contributor

I guess I would have to know what the reason is. I know you have to notify your banks before you go that your going to be using your cards out of the country. Like I said Why?

Honored Contributor

My hair dresser was scammed in this say.  She sent $5,000 to a long time client who emailed her with this story.

Not a lot of people know about these scams, especially if they don't use social media or watch the news.

Her son did file a claim with all the right agencies and with Western Union for the record, but you never see that money again.  It's gone.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 - I thought this sounded familiar, thanks for the links. Same story, different person. OP also never came back and posted again.

Honored Contributor

She was also asked to help her fiancé...just hope her son will find out about all of this and get it resolved.

Honored Contributor

she's back!!!!