Honored Contributor

Went to the meet and eat at the Sr. Center here today.

[ Edited ]

I am so thrilled.  About 30 people showed up, and I found on their calendar, they plan a train trip out west by Glacier. Now, we've been out there and it's beautiful.  This time, he wouldn't have to drive. We have to get info yet, for a late spring 2019.  They have numerous overnight, extended trips, and even international trips.  But there's so much I want to get into here.  We sat with people we just met, and I was so happy to see other men there too.  We joined.  This is just a light dusting of things.  I'm so happy we went.  

On their bulletin board were three things I wrote down to share here.

1.  Fun doesn't care how old you are

2.  The heart has no wringles (love that)

3.  You're never to old to try something new.

Those are all things we can live with.  

I almost forgot, they even had a get-together for speed dating.  ROFLOL.  See #1-3 above. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Went to the meet and eat at the Sr. Center here today.

How terrific!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our senior center sponsors so many trips. This year one is to Italy and another to the Rose Bowl Parade. They have already gone to the Ark and San Antonio earlier in the year. Last year one was to Alaska. They are very well planned and the prices are right. I'm so glad you checked it out @qualitygal.

Respected Contributor

You go girl!!!!!!!!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

I think it is wonderful that you and your husband (significant other) are remaining engaged and active.  These communities are truly a godsend for many as we age, especially as we lose our spouses/partners.  Everyone should remind themselves that growing older is just another phase of our lives, part of the journey.  We all have things to offer and contribute to others OF ALL AGES, even if it is as simple as companionship.  A simple smile, I feel, can give so, so much to another person. 

Honored Contributor

Sounds beyond wonderful!  Enjoy!Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We have a senior center in our town and it's mostly a bare bones kind of affair. Our Community Center though, does offer trips, theater at the center, yoga, zumba, and various other activities. I think the seniors mostly go to our senior center for a hot lunch and to get their blood pressure taken. I would not feel comfortable at our senior center and neither would my husband who is 75.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

So glad you went and had a good time!

There are two in my town, both Excellent Quality.  

I've gone to plays, and poetry readings my Dad had been in.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

I think it is wonderful that you and your husband (significant other) are remaining engaged and active.  These communities are truly a godsend for many as we age, especially as we lose our spouses/partners.  Everyone should remind themselves that growing older is just another phase of our lives, part of the journey.  We all have things to offer and contribute to others OF ALL AGES, even if it is as simple as companionship.  A simple smile, I feel, can give so, so much to another person. 

Amen. So well said. 

Having been overseeing my mom's care these past few years (she's about to turn 90 next Wed, God willing!)...she just moved to assisted living last year....I've just seen, and learned so much observing and engaging with people where she lives. My "compassionate bone" has expanded.  So, reading this post was heart-warming and put a smile on my face.  Of course health has a lot to do with it, but it's wonderful when people can age with dignity, stay engaged, and feel happy to still be alive.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some senior centers have really nice bus tours. I would try one(a Brewer game for example), but I'm not sure if DH would enjoy it. He did so much traveling when he was a young man but it was always done as a famiy in their own vehicles.