Respected Contributor

Went shopping for 1st time in over a year....

I am not much of a shopper but after getting both shots I decided with mask to go out and see what was out there after a year.  I live in a town with limited shopping but went to the two department stores (Bealls and Belk) and it was depressing. Looked like same stuff that was there a year ago and looks like Belk is closing since the merchandise has thinned out. Then I went to Marshalls and same old stuff (but less) there and then to Ulta.  It was not the same at Ulta.  The whole point of shopping in person is to experience the stuff in person.  I try the lipstick on my hand..etc.  I wanted to try the new Philosophy Jasmine scent but they did not have a tester for that one.  I asked if they could put out a tester as they did have one for the others.  They said no.  I guess they would rather you buy and return.  I did like the Bergamot but since they would not let me try the Jasmine I will get it cheaper on the Q.  Did not buy one thing all day.  I can see that nothing will change for me.  I will be ordering online.  I understand why Ulta has to be careful and I get it and appreciate it   I also realize that the stores are having a hard time getting stuff but It felt sad to me. Maybe it is just the area I live in.   I am glad I am not a hard core shopper like some of the women I know.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Went shopping for 1st time in over a year....

I never stopped shopping!! I live in a rural area and have still patronized my local shops. They need it!! I am disappointed that my shops aren't getting any new merchandise since all of this started. But I do enjoy sauntering around the towns and shopping the sales. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I do my best to shop locally...and about 1 hour away at the mall...they NEED us.  

I realize stock is limited and if you need something you must order online but I have never been one to do online shopping even before the virus appeared.

Super Contributor

Good for you venturing out. After a year at home a little retail therapy should have done you a world of good.  i have been shopping online for past year. but i did notice, when i've gone out a little, we have older merchandise in our stores here too, but the bargains are phenomenal. got a name brand sweater, plus size for 5 dollars. hope you found some bargains too.

Respected Contributor

I've never stopped shopping in person either. When our stores first reopened, merchandise was limited. But now, there is a good supply.

The one chain that has been struggling to restock product in my area is Sally Beauty. 

Respected Contributor

My first non-essential outing in a year was Home Depot garden center at 7 am. I was in and out quickly.  I enjoyed it, got a few things. I don't care about other stores. 

Honored Contributor

I can relate to that.  I had my second shot a week and I look forward to doing some of the things I have not done in a year.  Like going to the mall.  Movies.   The freedom of just going where I want to go, with a mask of course, is priceless.  Covid 19 numbers here are decining and everything is opening, with limitations.  Spring is coming.   It's a very hopeful time.

Respected Contributor

I sheltered in place for several months and the first time I went into a store I remember it being very depressing.  Very low stock, in disarray.  Makes me wonder if shopping in B/M stores will ever be the pleasant experience it once was. 

I remember seeing news photos years ago of people in Russia waiting in long lines and having to shop half-empty stores and thinking how sad it was that it was their "normal".  It seems we are headed in the same direction.  However, I am very glad that I can purchase most of what I really need on line.

Respected Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I sheltered in place for several months and the first time I went into a store I remember it being very depressing.  Very low stock, in disarray.  Makes me wonder if shopping in B/M stores will ever be the pleasant experience it once was. 

I remember seeing news photos years ago of people in Russia waiting in long lines and having to shop half-empty stores and thinking how sad it was that it was their "normal".  It seems we are headed in the same direction.  However, I am very glad that I can purchase most of what I really need on line.

@Suzeecat :  Surely you jest here.....there is nothing happening in America today or even this year to compare with Russia.  We are the greatest country on this earth and will continue to be.

Esteemed Contributor

I only stopped shopping during lockdown last spring. I go to stores first thing in the morning and occasionally in the evening when they are the least crowded.

Recent trips to my local Marshall's have been disappointing. The clothes look like what I have been living in all year- very casual. I don't need any more PJ's and sweats, thank you. Saving lots of money by not buying clothes most places and now that QVC dropped Linea and H by Halston, I am not even tempted here.

While picking up an order at WM I did pick up a basic t-shirt dress for summer that would cost three times the price with a D&Co or IML tag on it.