Esteemed Contributor

Re: Well i just took one of Tara McConnells so-called oven safe to 500 degree's casserole dishes out

@dex wrote:

@cookie16 wrote:

I had a pyrex glass dish explode in my oven while cooking a canned ham.  The only solid piece of glass was under the ham, the rest was throughout the oven.  The sound was loud too.  Out to dinner we went then came home to clean it up.  It is not only Temptations. I am using metal pans more now.  Very scary and expensive to waste the food.

Ok well there goes my safe using glass...I guess other than metal nothing is really oven safe

Pyrex is fine- it's tempered glass so it's very resistant to breaking. But when it does it shatters and makes a huge mess.

Honored Contributor

Re: Well i just took one of Tara McConnells so-called oven safe to 500 degree's casserole dishes out

When we moved to Florida I bought new service for 8 of corelle dishes.The cups were ironstone made in China and before a month went by 3 had cracked in half when we poured hot coffee into them, making a mess and causing a burn. I tossed them all and went & bought a set of 8 the old fashioned Corelle cups in  white from e bay. I think you have to automatically distrust stoneware or ceramics made in China. 

I don't know if the old TT was made here in the USA or not but I have all older sets and have never had any break spontaneously. I've not bought any new TT for at least 6 years.

Honored Contributor

It totally depends on the clay used (and where it's from) as well as the firing techniques.  Not all Polish Stoneware is created equal.  (And other stoneware can be awful to use because the cheaper fired clay can weaken with heat).... I have a kitchen filled with Gloria's Polish Stoneware.  I would say at least ten years worth, not a crack when cooking.  I've even knocked some of them on the counter edge and not even a chip.  If I buy other PS (and I have), I don't use them for serious cooking, only because I loved it.  (QVC's Lydia's Nested Rooster is one). 

Anyway, research where the clay is from, it's mixture and how it's fired (if the company will tell you) because those are the components that really count when buying this kind of cookware.... Woman Happy      

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

I have had Polish Stoneware for 18 years and use it a lot, especially baking.  I have never had an issue with cracking.  I purchased mine in Poland and have gotten pieces from QVC.  I live near a Polish Stoneware outlet, very lucky.  .  A couple of older pieces have crazed so I use them for serving only.  

Honored Contributor

I have not had TempTations crack, but I have had pyrex crack in the oven. No problem with any of my PS so far. 

Super Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Bigbear52 wrote:

@dex wrote:

@lonesomedove That really was a big dissapointment.I have had cracking with a couple of my polish stoneware pieces too.I think the best is glass and good old Corning ware.

Ihave a nice set of Corningware bake ware I bought from HSN. It was promoted and on air demonstated by Lorena Garcia. Corningware Etch. It is Made in China also, as is Temp-tations.   I've always trusted Corning.  My Mother has an old set of white Corningware, she's had it for years. It's in storage now.  My favorite piece of the Etch set is the covered casserole, I like the medium size ramekins. My set is sandstone or a beige color, not like the color in  the picture. 31939dad-f808-4c9d-8800-6989db9955d8_1.697e4e5874d0ae9f6e13e906096b9fce.jpeg

Yeah, unfortunately, the Corning Ware lines have changed.   The French White line (and I also have some of the Black) I use were made in the US of Pyroceram.  These are truly awesome.  But now they make that line, and others, in China of 'stoneware' that is nowhere near as nice.

You can still find brand new pieces of the older, MIA, pieces on places like ebay.  I'd make sure to see a picture of the bottom where it shows where it's made, especially if it's made in China.  Those will say 'stoneware' and 'Made in China' right on the bottom of the piece.

They are NOT the same and nowhere near as nice as the old Pyroceram pieces that were made here.

This is on the bottom of  all the pieces.  No stove top, No Broiler, Made In China.  I knew what i was getting when I got them.  I can buy directly from Corning if I want.  We use to have a Corning outlet store her on Cape Cod, it closed about 8 years ago. 20171129_185149.jpg

Super Contributor

I went directly to corningware manufacturer online and ordered pyrocean pieces that are stove top safe and oven microwave safe too.   Plus they are guaranteed for ten years.  Wanted a couple other dishes so I ordered a really nice lasagna pan plus two of the pyrocean cookware.  3.5 quart capacity plus a 5.5 quart capacity.   I even made my turkey in the 5.5 quart size and the clean up was so easy.   Not wasting my money on other junk.   Tossed all temptations out and will never try her line again.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many glass and ceramic baking dishes are NOT designed to work without some sort of liquid or soft ingredient covering the bottom !!

If you need to roast a piece of meat, use a metal or cast iron vessel.  When using Corning or Pyrex glass or ceramic, it's safer to be using some sort of sauce or liquid to help fill the pot--such as a casserole-type food.

I believe the theory behind this recommendation is that the liquid/sauce distributes heat more evenly than a huge piece of meat covering only a certain spot.

Honored Contributor

@Bigbear52

I have a few pieces of my Moms corning ware, the old blue cornflower design, I smile and know she is "sharing" the meal with us when I use it.

I prefer to us the Pyrex glass containers, they are great for storage also

@Bigbear52 wrote:

@dex wrote:

@lonesomedove That really was a big dissapointment.I have had cracking with a couple of my polish stoneware pieces too.I think the best is glass and good old Corning ware.

Ihave a nice set of Corningware bake ware I bought from HSN. It was promoted and on air demonstated by Lorena Garcia. Corningware Etch. It is Made in China also, as is Temp-tations.   I've always trusted Corning.  My Mother has an old set of white Corningware, she's had it for years. It's in storage now.  My favorite piece of the Etch set is the covered casserole, I like the medium size ramekins. My set is sandstone or a beige color, not like the color in  the picture. 31939dad-f808-4c9d-8800-6989db9955d8_1.697e4e5874d0ae9f6e13e906096b9fce.jpeg

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I have read too many horror stories from people who have used Temptations to ever consider using them.  I have some of the old Corningware I've used for years.  It's still going strong.  I love my 9 x 13 piece I've used forever.  I also don't care for the busy patterns on Temptations.