Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Well i just took one of Tara McConnells so-called oven safe to 500 degree's casserole dishes out of

[ Edited ]

Well i just took one of Tara McConnell's "safe to 500 degree" casserole dishes out of the oven "375" and it was cracked from top side all across the bottom, needless to say my dinner was ruined, had to toss it. No more Temp Tations cookwear for me. I have heard others say the same thing happened to them, guess i had to find out for myself, and the dish was room temp. not out of the fridge!!!!!!  BUMMER

Honored Contributor

Re: Well i just took one of Tara McConnells so-called oven safe to 500 degree's casserole dishes out

[ Edited ]

So sorry that happened to you.  Couldn't you have salvaged the portion away from the crack?  Every Christmas I think of the poor lady who had guests seated and waiting while she took he prime rib out of the oven.  The bottom fell out of her Temptations pan leaving the roast all over the kitchen floor.  In addition to the social disaster, this was a big financial loss.  That meat wasn't cheap.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Well i just took one of Tara McConnells so-called oven safe to 500 degree's casserole dishes out

@lonesomedove That really was a big dissapointment.I have had cracking with a couple of my polish stoneware pieces too.I think the best is glass and good old Corning ware.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@lonesomedove That really was a big dissapointment.I have had cracking with a couple of my polish stoneware pieces too.I think the best is glass and good old Corning ware.

Ihave a nice set of Corningware bake ware I bought from HSN. It was promoted and on air demonstated by Lorena Garcia. Corningware Etch. It is Made in China also, as is Temp-tations.   I've always trusted Corning.  My Mother has an old set of white Corningware, she's had it for years. It's in storage now.  My favorite piece of the Etch set is the covered casserole, I like the medium size ramekins. My set is sandstone or a beige color, not like the color in  the picture. 31939dad-f808-4c9d-8800-6989db9955d8_1.697e4e5874d0ae9f6e13e906096b9fce.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

So sorry that happened to you.  Couldn't you have salvaged the portion away from the crack?  Every Christmas I think of the poor lady who had guests seated and waiting while she took he prime rib out of the oven.  The bottom fell out of her Temptations pan leaving the roast all over the kitchen floor.  In addition to the social disaster, this was a big financial loss.  That meat wasn't cheap.

I think we've all had that moment when something will crack and for a fleeting moment say "should I or shouldn't I"  

I throw it out.  

Super Contributor

I had a pyrex glass dish explode in my oven while cooking a canned ham.  The only solid piece of glass was under the ham, the rest was throughout the oven.  The sound was loud too.  Out to dinner we went then came home to clean it up.  It is not only Temptations. I am using metal pans more now.  Very scary and expensive to waste the food.

Honored Contributor

@cookie16 wrote:

I had a pyrex glass dish explode in my oven while cooking a canned ham.  The only solid piece of glass was under the ham, the rest was throughout the oven.  The sound was loud too.  Out to dinner we went then came home to clean it up.  It is not only Temptations. I am using metal pans more now.  Very scary and expensive to waste the food.

Ok well there goes my safe using glass...I guess other than metal nothing is really oven safe

Esteemed Contributor

Exactly why I won't buy Temptations.  Too many horror stories about crazing and breaking.  I guess I'm a germaphobe and won't use anything that is cracked or crazed.  Buy Fiesta and Corning.

Esteemed Contributor

Very pretty @Bigbear52.

I've been using corning wear for years, haven't had any issues. Yet.

Honored Contributor

Bigbear52 wrote:

Whatnow wrote:

Ihave a nice set of Corningware bake ware I bought from HSN. It was promoted and on air demonstated by Lorena Garcia. Corningware Etch. It is Made in China also, as is Temp-tations.   I've always trusted Corning.  My Mother has an old set of white Corningware, she's had it for years. It's in storage now.  My favorite piece of the Etch set is the covered casserole, I like the medium size ramekins. My set is sandstone or a beige color, not like the color in  the picture. 31939dad-f808-4c9d-8800-6989db9955d8_1.697e4e5874d0ae9f6e13e906096b9fce.jpeg

Yeah, unfortunately, the Corning Ware lines have changed.   The French White line (and I also have some of the Black) I use were made in the US of Pyroceram.  These are truly awesome.  But now they make that line, and others, in China of 'stoneware' that is nowhere near as nice.

You can still find brand new pieces of the older, MIA, pieces on places like ebay.  I'd make sure to see a picture of the bottom where it shows where it's made, especially if it's made in China.  Those will say 'stoneware' and 'Made in China' right on the bottom of the piece.

They are NOT the same and nowhere near as nice as the old Pyroceram pieces that were made here.