Honored Contributor

The HP website is having some good sales on their computers.  Hubbies old, old laptop is on its last legs, so for Christmas I am getting him a new one.  In order to get the sales price I ordered it this morning and it will be shipped on or around 11/19.  All is good.

Then hubby gets a text from our cc company verifing the charge.  Argh!  There goes the surprise.

On the other hand I am glad they are on top of things and verified the sizable charge.  But darn I wanted it to be a surprise.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Oh no! That is so disappointing to have that happen. I know things like this have happened to me in the past too. You try so hard to keep something a surprise and something like that comes around and ruins it in seconds. I'm sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

A way to avoid this happening in the future is to call your cc company when you make the purchase.This will avoid the text being sent. I’ve done it several times when I wanted to surprise DH.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ..........thanks for the advise.  I did not know you could do that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie  I also notify them when I buy big ticket items so that the sale isn’t held up pending verification.I called them ahead of my cruise last month too,so they knew I would be using my card in the Caribbean.It avoids any hassles & embarrassing situations.

Honored Contributor

Ut oh!  Maybe you should use a credit card that is not attached to a phone number number shared with your DH.

My CC's are set up with my mobile phone number, so only I get to see the text.

BTW, I'll bet your hubbh was surprised...a little early, but surprised none the less.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie

My wife has her own credit card and I have no idea what she purchases. I also have my own, thus I only know, and care about what I purchase. What is pretty obvious to me? She gets a whole lot more deliveries than I do. Unless she wants to tell me, I have no idea, nor care what she purchases. In our relationship her money is her money, and my money is our money.

If you want to surprise "hubby", you might consider doing the same, unless?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

This is one of the reasons I've always had my own card. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@ImaoldhippieCan I ask what laptop you decided on?

I am looking to get a new one, too.

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1...............

HP Pavilion - 15t�Laptop
Product number: 3DY10AV

Its not real fancy with all the bells and whistle but he mainly uses his for the church, he is the CFO of our church, so it will work well for him.