Esteemed Contributor

Re: Well, I knew this would happen after the "purge"

@drizzellla wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@drizzellla 

Maybe this is a gender thing. I too have been on the witness stand, and 3 different times. My only concern was that I completely understood all the questions and answered them as best as I could remember involving my being there.

hckynut

Yes, hckynut, you are right. I guess it was ingrained into my head. My first job was in the Investment Department of an Insurance Company. I worked there for 15 years. Everyone always looked so professional and I did too. For the rest of my working days I worked in the Accounting Department. So there was nothing in my working attire that was casual.

And I am going to be the only one in the room worried about my outfit. But I can't help but think I will be judged by some people for what I am wearing. 

The only person who will be judging you, is you.

Nobody will care as to what you are wearing.

Throw on some jeans and a top, and call it a day.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I feel you, I feel more confident when I'm dressed appropriately for the occasion.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I was called for jury duty in a smaller city.  Virtually everyone there was wearing denim jeans.  Maybe grand juries are different, but I wouldn't go out and spend a lot of  money.  A decent pair of pants and a dressier conservative top would be fine.  

Respected Contributor

Kudos on the Stella Dallas reference.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Kudos on the Stella Dallas reference.

As I was writing all I could think of was the picture that MziMac posted of "Stella Dallas" the other day when there was a decision about Barbara Stanwyck.

Respected Contributor

Perhaps it is an old fashioned / old school thought but I believe for the most part just a little more respect is given when for occasions like these one dresses in a more business like manner.

When I decide to purge my closet to make way for new items or just organization I keep back a few (usually black and / neutral dresses that I can throw a jacket onto for a funeral / graduation/ neighborhood rep type occasions. Of course I usually over buy jackets  , so have a variety always.

As others have stated how one dresses is not the most important thing. But how you feel about how you look is.

I have found for jury duty not many 'dress up' .

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last time I was on a jury almost everyone wore jeans and a tee. In Arizona you can get away with decent shorts or Capri pants and sandals. No one cares what you are wearing. It's gonna probably be a long day, might as well be comfortable. If I was to get called for jury duty I would have to wear jeans and a tee because that's it for my closet and I'm not about to go out looking for something to wear for a one day event. 

Trusted Contributor

Totally agree with @Alison Wonderland--unless you are a person who doesn't "do" funerals, everyone needs dark suit or jacket dress for such occasions.  That would be fine for this as well.

As for the idea that it doesn't matter what you wear to court, I respectfully disagree.  Clothing is more than covering your nakedness, it is symbolic as well.  Certain colors and styles of dress speak to the occasion (a white bridal gown, for instance, for a wedding); dressing in a formal manner speaks to the gravity of the occasion (wearing a suit to a job interview) or demonstrates respect for the occasion--dressing well shows respect to the court and the judicial process.

So yes, wear your funeral suit to court--but it never hurts to have one or two suits or jacket dresses tucked away for such times--I kept some of mine when I retired.

Honored Contributor

Relax.   You are only on the jury, you aren't one of the attorneys.  Pants and top will be fine.  You can't wear jeans or shorts for jury duty here but that's the extent of the dress code.   

Super Contributor

When I read this, my very first thought was to go to where you donated and buy something back. They sell stuff for next to nothing. The funeral outfit is a good idea too.