Honored Contributor

Re: Welcoming Spring in the April 2019 Bird's Nest

Hi @possummink !

I agree, Indigo Buntings are really beautiful birds!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

No photo description available.

Bernie,   Thank you for the new perch for the month of April.   This year needs to slow down a bit.   Hard to believe it's already 1/4 in the past.  

Cool and sunny here today.   The Mississippi is way over it's banks and covering a lot of farmland around here.   A pciture below I took yesterday on the way over to my great niece's birthday party in Illinois.  Farmland by the Mississippi River

On the way back to Missouri from Illinois.   The Mississippi River is right behind the tree line.   Not good for our farmers, for sure.   So much damage in the Midwest this year already. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow @possummink  oh my, that is what I call catastrophic water Woman Surprised  So many communites across the country have experienced catastrophic flooding.  I almost expect it in coastal areas.

Not good for the farmer, the livestock, the wild animals.  

Saturday was the one year anniversary of my first day of retirement so I get what you are saying about time flying by.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Image may contain: text

Honored Contributor

Welsh Pony

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

#HappyTuesday

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was poking around my city's website last night trying to determine when separate yard waste pick up starts (since those bums didn't publish the date in the quarterly magazine they send out).  I learned it started April 1st and since today was my regular trash pick up day it felt good and spring-like to take a large yard waste paper bag full of twigs and branches to the curb this morning.

I recycle paper, plastic, glass, metal and cardboard and prefer to drop off at the local DPW near my house.  Wow, after 3 weeks I sure had a lot of paper, plastic and cardboard Woman Surprised  I filled my trunk and took care of that this morning.

This weekend is the hazardous waste event at the same DPW so I spent the morning gathering things like fluorescent shop light bulbs that are too long for the 2 light fixtures that I have left that use fluorescent.  I converted 2 to LED a couple of years ago.  I found some old sidewalk/driveway repair compound in a can that was there when my husband was alive.  I'll say with confidence that it's probably bad by now.

I thought I had cleared all of this out and wouldn't you know, some of it was hiding on a shelf I rarely look at in the basement.

The following weekend is the electronic recycling event and I've been holding a dead DVD player for months.  I also have my old android tablet that was really petering out.  I think I pretty much scrubbed my identity off of that thing however to be sure on Sunday I filled a bucket of water, put it in the garage, turned on the tablet and dropped it in the bucket.  Once it soaked for an hour I felt confident that it was fried.

I've since drip dried it and then laid it under the dresser in the spare bedroom with the little outlets facing the hot air vent, lol. 

It should be fried and dried in a couple of days Woman LOL

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama  We recycle also.We are lucky that our city supplies a big container ( just like our garbage can ) and it is picked up every 2 weeks.Makes it easier for people to recycle.The only thing is,they don"t do plastic.We use cloth bags for our groceries.

Honored Contributor

three little bunnies in hand