Respected Contributor

Re: Welcome to the Back Fence for January 2018

Betty you sound like me when it comes to Walgreen's. I go there because of Mike, he use to own his own pharmacy here - Walgreen's came in and he is working there now. He did a booming business in prescriptions, his shelves were often empty but he is such a great person. When he retires not sure what I will do but have thought about it. But then he is younger than me so I suspect I may be long gone before he retires. He is now a Grandpa and when I first me him, he had just gotten married - and he is no longer really think with dark hair. LOL.

Enjoy your sunshine Betty. We have had it for the last couple days and today looks like another one. They say we will have 80 today, doubt it as yesterday that was predicted and while it was a nice day it was NOT that warm.

This is usually our coldest time of the year but have seen it not happen. Also, what I do NOT want, is that we have had 100 degree temps set in in March and it stays there for months. I love warm weather but do not like the hot and humid stuff. Oh how I wish the dry air would return to Sou Cal - it was so heavenly even with very high temps.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Yea @Winifred humid heat is killer.  I can't stand it when it's hot and humid.  Takes the life right outta me.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

We were at 81 today - tied for the warmest day, same date with 1965. Now that says a lot. GREAT day!!!!

Still not feeling on top of the world but am sure others have it worse.

Do not even have a drop of anything to leave you all to eat - oh yes, do have garlic crackers???

Sleep well one and all.

Honored Contributor

Since the garbage man is coming tomorrow, I decided to look through my cabinets for any expired food.  I've greatly improved on the kitchen cabinets - just a can of PAM, some Lawry's seasoning salt and a partial box of rotini expired and those were in the last 3 months.

The medicine chest, well, that's another matter.  Found some old bengay and store brand neosporin.  No wonder the bengay didn't work and it's a miracle I didn't give myself an infection with the store brand neosporin, lol.

Trusted Contributor

Glad you got rid of the old stuff. Is it snowing at your place. We had about 2 inches this morning and then it was supposed to go awAy. . Instead, it is really coming down.  Beautiful snowfall.   The boys down the street I think are supposed to be shoveling their drive but looks as if they are having more fun throwing snow on each other.  There are four brothers there and they always seem to be having fun.  

Its plenty cold cold out there so I'll stay inside. I received my new tea kettle so guess I'll see how loud the whistle is. You gotta have a whistling tea kettle on a cold snowy day.  

Honored Contributor

@yock  It's snowing here.  I just took a bath and washed my hair.  In an hour or so, hair will be dry and pores should be closed and I will probably go out and shovel.  It does look like something off of a greeting card.

When I bought my new dishes and pots and pans in the late spring/early summer I think it was, I bought a whistling tea kettle.  Ain't burned up a pot since :-)

Trusted Contributor

well I'm bummed. My tea kettle has the wimpiest whistle sound ive ever heard or tried to hear. The sound of the water boiling is much louder than the so called whistle.  A cute little tea kettle, red of course. I swear the reviews said the whistle was too loud.  

Honored Contributor

@yock  If you want a screamer, lol, try farberware.  I got mine at JCP.

At first I thought it chirped like a bird until I let it go too long and it sounded like a woman being murdered.

Farberware Sonoma 2-qt. Whistling Tea Kettle - Coffee + Tea - Tea Kettles

Trusted Contributor

I certainly will.   I'm going to try this one again to see if maybe it whimpers first. Lol

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@yock  It's snowing here.  I just took a bath and washed my hair.  In an hour or so, hair will be dry and pores should be closed and I will probably go out and shovel.  It does look like something off of a greeting card.

When I bought my new dishes and pots and pans in the late spring/early summer I think it was, I bought a whistling tea kettle.  Ain't burned up a pot since :-)

@Bird mama  I used to heat water for tea in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave, but ever since it broke in there, think it touched the side and blew up the micro, I have been boiling water on the range top, but you are right, the pot is discolored from the minerels and the bottom very brown, as several times the water boiled out and I caught the pot before it was runied.

I have been thinking of getting a kettle, apparently I need one to alert me, as I remember my Mother's, and later on, she got an electric, is your electric?