Honored Contributor

Re: Welcome to the Back Fence for January 2018

@mousiegirl  Nope mine sits on a gas stove.  I drink instant coffee and I am too ashamed to tell the number of pots I ruined.  They were old school good quality Revereware too :-(

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl  Nope mine sits on a gas stove.  I drink instant coffee and I am too ashamed to tell the number of pots I ruined.  They were old school good quality Revereware too :-(

My Mother used Farberware, the type without the copper bottoms, which I brought to my home, then may have bought more along the way, can't remember, but I still use it, won't say how many years, lol, but many decades.  I have a double boiler, small pot, and three graduated sizes of pots, one enormous, then smaller, the type with the handles on both sides, and another even smaller, but good sized., last forever.

Image result for farberware from the 50's picture

Respected Contributor

I have my Mother's old kettle. It is a GREAT one, stainless steel and sturdy as they come. Took a look at it earlier this evening and had not noticed how dirty it gets sitting on top of the stove. I think that is Shannon - hate to say it but she IS a PIG. Mother left us early 1994 and she had that kettle quite a spell before that. A good one indeed!!! Have no clue what the brand is - do not see anything on it anywhere. So far have never had any glassware explode in the microwave but have heard of it. I also do that - what can I say.

Honored Contributor

I never had glassware explode in the microwave but I did have a weird Anchor Hocking glassware experience that I'm sure I talked about last fall.

Grayson bathes in a clear 11x15 anchor hocking baking dish.  That dish has never been exposed to sudden heart or sudden cold.  I leave the bathtub out for him daily on a beach towel.  Last fall, on a day that he didn't take a bath in it, I hand washed it (force of habit) in warm water.  As I was rinsing it off, I didn't bang it against the sink or anything and the thing exploded.

Thank God the bird went upstairs to sleep when it happened.  There was shards of glass all over the floor, it shot under the fridge and there were shards sticking out of my hands and forearms.  Crazy as I am, I checked my tattoo for glass first, lol.

Anyway, I learned that those baking dishes are warranted for so many years.  Never in my life have I heard of that, then again I grew up with good quality Pyrex.

I bought a pair of 11x15 baking dishes the next day and I saved the receipt.  The dishes have a 5 year warranty and I will probably pitch the one I use for him now around 4 years.

Can you imagine if my Grayson had been sitting in the tub, meditating on the mysteries of life, and the tub cracked.  Poor thing would have bled to death.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I never had glassware explode in the microwave but I did have a weird Anchor Hocking glassware experience that I'm sure I talked about last fall.

Grayson bathes in a clear 11x15 anchor hocking baking dish.  That dish has never been exposed to sudden heart or sudden cold.  I leave the bathtub out for him daily on a beach towel.  Last fall, on a day that he didn't take a bath in it, I hand washed it (force of habit) in warm water.  As I was rinsing it off, I didn't bang it against the sink or anything and the thing exploded.

Thank God the bird went upstairs to sleep when it happened.  There was shards of glass all over the floor, it shot under the fridge and there were shards sticking out of my hands and forearms.  Crazy as I am, I checked my tattoo for glass first, lol.

Anyway, I learned that those baking dishes are warranted for so many years.  Never in my life have I heard of that, then again I grew up with good quality Pyrex.

I bought a pair of 11x15 baking dishes the next day and I saved the receipt.  The dishes have a 5 year warranty and I will probably pitch the one I use for him now around 4 years.

Can you imagine if my Grayson had been sitting in the tub, meditating on the mysteries of life, and the tub cracked.  Poor thing would have bled to death.

@Bird mama  I never saw a post on this.  Sticking out of your arms, horrible!  I shudder to think of a bird in a situation such as this or any animal.  I still have a lot of the older pyrex though don't use it much except for a bowl I use to heat up pasta in the micro. It is battered looking, and has a chip on the edge, but still usable.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  There was only one wound that made me wonder if I needed stitches - it was on my finger.  Considering Grayson is worse than a man as far as monitoring my every move, I just wrapped the finger tight and hurried up to clean up the glass.  I was afraid he would hear the noise and come skipping down the stairs to check out what was happening.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl  There was only one wound that made me wonder if I needed stitches - it was on my finger.  Considering Grayson is worse than a man as far as monitoring my every move, I just wrapped the finger tight and hurried up to clean up the glass.  I was afraid he would hear the noise and come skipping down the stairs to check out what was happening.

@Bird mama  "skipping down the stairs."  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Hi BackFencers - hope all are well and happy and staying warm. We had an 80 plus day but tomorrow it is suppose to be a good 20 degrees cooler - boo hoo - and may have rain. Hope the rain holds off as we had way too much last week which caused catastrophic damage and more right now will not be good.

Got the bird feeders filled - again so our fine feathered friends should be happy again.

Had too spicy chicken for dinner - just a bit too "hot" for this old woman. Getting very hard to find the frozen chicken breasts any more with sauces that are not way too spicy. I have trouble with that.

Hope all had a great day. Sleep well!!

Trusted Contributor

finally,after almost 2 weeks,the plumbers are gone.

now we wait till they come to fix the drywall. At least I can get all our stuff put back. At least everything got a good cleaning.

cold here again.think tomorrow I'll make some lentil soup.i have the ham bone left over from Christmas,it's been in the freezer.good weather for soup.

he everyone is well and not getting the flu.

Honored Contributor

@Epicurean  I'm glad to read that the plumbers are gone.  So far I have been successul avoiding the flu.  My sister watched was telling me earlier in the week that she saw on the news that the flu caused some deaths.  I told her, flu these days is nothing to play with or joke about.  You have to watch the seniors and the little ones and the ones with compromised immune systems.

We are going to pilot a mobile work arrangement (work from home a couple of days a week) starting next month.  I know I'm outta there at the end of March but I signed up anyway.  

The people I work with tend to come to work when they are sick.  Going to the office 2x a week should minimize my chance of catching anything, lol.