Honored Contributor

Re: Wealth indicators, according to your childhood self?

@stellabystarlight   I remember my first trip to California, I fell in love with the palm trees and could not wait to see the Golden Gate Bridge, which I thought would be a 'golden' color.   I was so disappointed when I saw it painted a brick red!

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB   Oh I forgot about the Barbie and Ken clothes.  Those were beautiful as well.  The tiny buttons and buttonholes...  such good workmanship.  

My sister had a young daughter so I thought I would be gracious and let her have them to play with..big mistake.  Her mom, my sister,  did not make sure things were taken care of and they were all ruined in short order.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SloopJohnB   Oh I forgot about the Barbie and Ken clothes.  Those were beautiful as well.  The tiny buttons and buttonholes...  such good workmanship.  

My sister had a young daughter so I thought I would be gracious and let her have them to play with..big mistake.  Her mom, my sister,  did not make sure things were taken care of and they were all ruined in short order.

@Mom2Dogs   Oh, sorry to hear that.  At least you have beautiful memories left.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Super Contributor

I honestly never thought about someone having wealth when I was a child.  Sometime in junior high I had a friend whose father was the president of the university in our city.  She lived in a huge mansion on campus and it had two giant living rooms and huge dining room and family room, den, multiple bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.  That's when I realized we were not wealthy LOL.  But honestly, at that age I didn't even care.  I did start to care when I had my kids hoping I could give them at least a decent middle class life, which luckily I did.  

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

That people actually were able to buy several outfits and pairs of shoes from...wait for it....

the BIG Sears or JC Penney catalogs!!!!

We could not. But we would go thru the pages of clothing and dream of how cool it would be if only we could order those complete outfits!!!

Also...thick, plush wall to wall carpet. We too lived in a home with wood (Parquet!!!!) floors and area carpets, and thought Wall to Wall was super rich!!!

Today...people want wood floors and area rugs! And the floors in our NYC home were beautiful parquet with herrigbone pattern and shined to a high gloss....beautiful...

More than one phone...Central air ( or even a window unit!)...pools...

My parents divorced in 1965. My Dad was an engineer with a big firm, and he got a new shiny company car every two years, with all the bells and whistles....AC, plush interiors, and that new car smell. When he came to visit, our friends thought he ( and we) were rich ( riding around in that high falutin' new car!!!)

The cars he got that I can remember? Slab sided, giant Plymouth Fury 4-doors ( seemed 100 feet long to my 9 year old eyes...) or a Chevrolet Caprice 4 door...or a huge Buick.....look them up ( Late 60's). Giant boulevard barges of the late 60's and early 70s....typical company cars of the period....Bench seats the size of living room couches...

Of interest is that those old thick catalogs are availabe on E bay today....check it out for a trip down memory lane!!! I was 15 in 1971...Prime teenage years....there's a Big Book on Ebay for 15.00. O the memories!!!!

@Othereeeen   I remember the big Sears catalogs, but mostly for the Christmas Toys.   My favorite.  Could be immersed in them for hours.

I remember my grandmother always having a big Spiegel catalog.  I guess this is from when she lived in Chicago.  That catalog was as thick as a phone book (remember those? LOL).  That's another catalog that could keep me occupied for a long while.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I thought if your mother didn't work, you were wealthy.

On our neighborhood, if the mother worked, the assumption was they were poor and struggling and the mother had no choice.  I thought that until I was 12 or 13 and I began meeting other families and broadening my view of life by reading.  

Honored Contributor

I have really enjoyed reading all of your responses, and I'm sorry if it made anyone sad 💝

@Othereeeen 

You painted some beautiful memories for us. I hope you are writing your memoirs.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I thought having a/c in your house or having more than one bathroom meant you were rich. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

By today's standards, we grew up poor...but I never knew it. We had everything we needed...but not usually everything we wanted. I was raised by a single mother...parents divorced when I and my siblings were preschool-aged....It wasn't until I went off to college that I realized we didn't grow up like everyone else. I wouldn't trade my upbringing for all the money on the world.

Honored Contributor

Houses with a second bathroom.