Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wealth indicators, according to your childhood self?

I also thought that people who had swimming pools must have been rich!   We as kids never were able to have one, my dad said they were too expensive and too much upkeep for the amount of time we could have used it living in the northeast.   Oh well, I got over it as the ocean is now my pool Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@SloopJohnB That just cracked me up, the ce-ment pond!!!   LOL, thanks for the chuckle.   I lived out in the woods for many years and my brother used to call me Ellie May, so funny Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal wrote:

I also thought that people who had swimming pools must have been rich!   We as kids never were able to have one, my dad said they were too expensive and too much upkeep for the amount of time we could have used it living in the northeast.   Oh well, I got over it as the ocean is now my pool Smiley Happy

@LindaSal  Growing up we didn't have one, but not necessarily because of the cost, but because of the liability.  I was 3 when we moved into the new house & my parents were afraid of all our little friends, who may not know how to swim.  So, we went to the beach!

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

People that had Air Conditioners, especially Central Air comes to mind. Someone else hired to mow the lawn or  having a gardener.I thought my Aunt who lived in Cal.was rich because she had a Cleaning Lady.

Esteemed Contributor

No thought.  Had what I needed.  And I had a father who always said, PEOPLE NOT THINGS and I would have a happy life. 

Honored Contributor

I can't remember thinking about it when I was a child.  The only thing I do remember is Grandma and Grandpa seemed to have a lot of money. We were the only 3 grandchildren so I do know we benefited from that!

Esteemed Contributor

I never thought abt wealth or what others had that I did not have,  till  I became a teenager . Then I did see some of my peers with their own swimming pools or  going on various ski or beach vacations. I did not envy them, I just decided to further my education and  have a career to earn  a decent salary to afford certain things.

Valued Contributor

Being happy.

Trusted Contributor

A car with AC, and, of course, a swimming pool.  In our neighborhood, in the 1950's, there was one car with AC, and no pools.  I don't remember there being very many conspicuous wealth indicators in those days, even though we lived in the middle class section of an upper middle class town.  Fewer wealthy folks in general in those days,  and those that had it must have kept it in the bank or in second homes.  And there were less things to spend money on than now.

Frequent Contributor

I never thought about it as a child.  We played outside with other children till dark, we never needed anything.  I learned later that my family, for years, lived from paycheck to paycheck as so many other families did, but my parents never put adult burdens on the children. We were oblivious.   Those were the days.