Honored Contributor

Re: Wealth indicators, according to your childhood self?

@KBEANS wrote:

If you lived in a building in NYC that had an intercom and elevator, I just knew you were rich! Until I moved in one.

Fooled ya!

🤣

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

A swimming pool - above or inground!

Honored Contributor

I grew up in a working class suburb where all the houses were triple deckers and two families and there were no garages.  People parked on the street.  When I was a kid. I thought only rich people lived in single family homes with big yards. 

Also, we spent July and August on Martha's Vineyard in my mom's friend's house.  It was huge and she always had house guests.  My mom would "help" with the cooking and laundry and cleaning.  We kids had chores too buy mostly we were on the beach, playing, berry picking.   Sooooo.    Many years later, I learned that my mom's friend operated a bed and breakfast in thar big house.  Those house guests were paying customers and my mom went there to work.  Not to vacation.  The salary she made in summer along with the very generous tips she got, was used to buy school and winter clothes for the 5 of us kids.  We were "the help",  we were not house guests...lol.  I was around 20 when my mom told me.

Honored Contributor

AS A KID( are we talking under 10?) I suppose having a horse or a pony and having a pool.... would make you rich.

I grew up very comfortable.... never did without and had everything but a pony and a pool....

but,  not rich. To me rich is like a Bill Gates.... a multi  millionaire or a Billionaire...

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

As they say, hindsight is 20/20.  As a child I used to think that the girls with new store bought dresses were so lucky, hence rich.  Where as I had to wear dresses my mother sewed herself.  Looking back, my clothes were probably 10 times nicer & well made than their "fancy K-Mart" ware.  Not to mention the time, effort & love my mom put in to them.

Same thing for eating out.  It was a rare occasion that we ate out & that included fast food.  I used to think those that got to get their food from a drive thru window were some how richer than us, but looking back that wasn't the case at all.  My mom would cook us great meals & I didn't even appreciate it then.  Unfortunately, it is/was too late for me to let her know.  Smiley Sad

If we ate out, it was a picnic.  Or a real treat the A & W root beer stand. Or the Dairy Queen.  That was our "eating out" I guess.  Mom sewed beautifully, and made me a prom dress one time.  I never felt we lacked for anything!!!  I was happy with what we had, and only dad worked.  Mom was at home for us kids.  She also was a good cook. We had family around in surrounding neighborhoods.  I never questioned it.

Respected Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

A swimming pool - above or inground!

@FastDogWalker2   I know, right?  Now, at least where I live, it is the rare house that doesn't have a pool.  It used to be just "the rich" could afford one, hence the lyrics to the Beverly Hillbillies theme song.  LOL  .......  a cement pond.....

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

As they say, hindsight is 20/20.  As a child I used to think that the girls with new store bought dresses were so lucky, hence rich.  Where as I had to wear dresses my mother sewed herself.  Looking back, my clothes were probably 10 times nicer & well made than their "fancy K-Mart" ware.  Not to mention the time, effort & love my mom put in to them.

Same thing for eating out.  It was a rare occasion that we ate out & that included fast food.  I used to think those that got to get their food from a drive thru window were some how richer than us, but looking back that wasn't the case at all.  My mom would cook us great meals & I didn't even appreciate it then.  Unfortunately, it is/was too late for me to let her know.  Smiley Sad

If we ate out, it was a picnic.  Or a real treat the A & W root beer stand. Or the Dairy Queen.  That was our "eating out" I guess.  Mom sewed beautifully, and made me a prom dress one time.  I never felt we lacked for anything!!!  I was happy with what we had, and only dad worked.  Mom was at home for us kids.  She also was a good cook. We had family around in surrounding neighborhoods.  I never questioned it.

@qualitygal   Sounds very similiar to us.  Those were the days!

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Frequent Contributor

My mother made all of our clothes as well. I don't think I appreciated it as much as I should have. I loved the clothes she made. She always added a ruffle or something to make them cuter🥰We also never ate out(6 kids). 

Honored Contributor

I grew up as a military brat. I can't remember ever giving 'wealth' a thought. Living on post you don't see the real world as a kid.

Respected Contributor

And not necessarily in my childhood, but a bit later in life, it seemed that only "the rich & famous" could afford plastic surgery.  Now, everyone & their brother (or sister) seems to have some "work done."