Honored Contributor

Re: Wealth indicators, according to your childhood self?

@AuntG wrote:

Houses with a second bathroom.

Omg...lol.  I didn't know that existed until I 10 or 11 and family members started movie out to the nicer suburbs into newer and nicer homes.  I did think two bathrooms meant luxury and wealth.  I thought the same about dishwashers when I was a kid.  I remember once asking my mom why we couldn't have a dishwasher and she calm answered "We already have two.  You and your brother".  

Respected Contributor

Owning a '64 Cadillac or  one of those LincolnMercs with the rear window that slanted in.

or a '64 Stingray

Forget European Supercars, This 1964 C2 Corvette Stingray Is The Icon You  Want | Carscoops

Honored Contributor

I guess it would have to be a house that would make me think someone was extremely wealthy.  But who knows if they were in debt up to their eyeballs.  Something I wouldn't have thought about when I was young.

Not even cars would be an indicator, as I knew people who lived in apartments, rented houses or owned regular old homes and drove expensive cars.  I never got that--even at an early age.

Jewelry never threw me to believe someone was wealthly even if they were dripping in jewels.  Same as above, lived middle class or lesser life, but still had the bling.  

It's whatever floats your boat!  Which reminds me of my dad, when he said he got a new boat and we went to visit him afterwards. 

So there was this little boat at his dock and I could see some really nice boats anchored out on the river so I thought we were going to take the little boat out to his  *big* boat just as his neighbors did. 

But, we passed all the big boats and puttered around all afternoon in his little rattle-y aluminum boat.  Lol.

Kinda surprised me.  

Respected Contributor

Did not think about wealth when I was a child.  All the other kids we played with were the same as us.  We didn't want for anything.  Had birthday parties, an above the ground swimming pool.  We were the first house on the circle to have a color tv. The neighborhood kids used to peek in the window in our den so they could watch. We would occasionally go out for dinner at a Polynesian restaurant and for ice cream at Friendly's. We were Navy brats, then dad retired from the Navy and was a truck driver after that. Mom stayed home until we were a little older and then started to work.  But did we think we were wealthy? Nope, we were just like everyone else.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

We also didn't think of wealth .... like another who stated that a 2nd bathroom was one of those things and we talked and laughed about it and eventually made it happen!!   We thought we had it all!! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I grew up thinking we were rich if we had good food on the table and my parents had spare nickels so we could go to a swimming pool in the summers.  

My dad was able to get his PhD. They got out of poverty, and lived a very nice life. They also helped my siblings and me get great educations and not have to go through what they did.

I'm now retired and still make sure to always have toilet paper, fresh vegies/fruit, and some seafood/meat in the house.

Trusted Contributor

I had a very wealthy bff from 3rd grade until HS graduation. Her house, directly on the bay had 20 rooms. She had 2 horses and a sailboat and power boat. I didn't think too much about all these trappings until I got older. But it really hit me they were wealthy when we went out to eat and my bff's dad laid a one hundred dollar bill on the table. It was 1972 and I'd never seen that.

That bill represented wealth to me for many years.