Honored Contributor

Wealth indicators, according to your childhood self?

I saw this on Facebook and thought it was a good question for my forum friends....

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 10.07.04 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Wealth indicators, according to your childhood self?

I grew up in a multi-family building in NYC. I thought anyone with a single family home was rich... and dancing lessons. All my friends took dancing lessons, but my mom said they were too expensive.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Good question.  I probably thought if a family owned more than one car, they were rich.  

Honored Contributor

The thought about wealth, as a child, never  crossed my mind. 

Frequent Contributor

I thought people who had carpeting were rich! We had all wood floors. Now that I think about that, boy was I wrong. Our floors were beautiful . 

Honored Contributor

The families not constantly on the move collecting welfare and living in shacks you would be jailed for keeping a dog in now..  Those of us with a house (not that we all owned them) were the wealthy. 

Honored Contributor

Anyone that had a bathroom in their house was rich.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

As they say, hindsight is 20/20.  As a child I used to think that the girls with new store bought dresses were so lucky, hence rich.  Where as I had to wear dresses my mother sewed herself.  Looking back, my clothes were probably 10 times nicer & well made than their "fancy K-Mart" ware.  Not to mention the time, effort & love my mom put in to them.

Same thing for eating out.  It was a rare occasion that we ate out & that included fast food.  I used to think those that got to get their food from a drive thru window were some how richer than us, but looking back that wasn't the case at all.  My mom would cook us great meals & I didn't even appreciate it then.  Unfortunately, it is/was too late for me to let her know.  Smiley Sad

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

I never gave it a thought.  My parents certainly weren't wealthy but we didn't want for anything.

I remember my Mom talking about when she was young her Mom baked all their bread.  They thought it was such a treat when they got store-bought sliced bread.  Crazy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you lived in a building in NYC that had an intercom and elevator, I just knew you were rich! Until I moved in one.