Honored Contributor

Re: We're all a little Irish in the March 2019 Bird's Nest

Honored Contributor

@possummink   you'd think now that I'm retired I would watch more eagles nests.  I don't have the nerves for it, lol.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@possummink   you'd think now that I'm retired I would watch more eagles nests.  I don't have the nerves for it, lol.  

@Bird mama 

Bernie.  I know what you mean.  When it comes to the feeding of the little ones in the Osprey nest it's usually fish but when it comes to the hawks, owls, eagles, etc. it could be anything,  from rodents, songbirds, waterbirds and squirrels, frogs, snakes, and small mammals, including pet types.  I don't want to see that.  

One big minus with the Osprey nest in Maine is the predation of the chicks by Great Horned Owls and Bald Eagles.  They have raided Steve and Rachel's nest's the past few years and it's heartbreaking to know.  The DARK side of nature.   I know they all have to eat,  but I wish it was salads.  Cat Sad

Honored Contributor

@possummink   I can accept that the hawks and raptors kill something to feed their young.  My stress goes through the roof when their young become a source of food for another.  It doesn't take much for me to get attached, lol. 

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: text

Esteemed Contributor

I am not Irish but,  I always try to wear something green. I always watch the parade in NY city from my window in my office I can see everything. Love river dance!Heart

Honored Contributor

Cat Bench 5 Pack : Jane Crowther : Artists : Home : Fairy cards, pagan/mystical cards, fantasy cards, fantasy prints and gifts at Moondragon Cards.com

Honored Contributor

I received my bench today.  There is something called a hinge knuckle on each leg.  The hinge knuckle on the left leg of the bench was broken.  I called the 1-800 number for Premiere Products and the young lady that spoke with me was a real pleasure.  They are sending out a replacement left leg to me tomorrow.

Just putting that out there - should anyone on this thread encounter something funky with your bench, call the 1-800 number on the insert that advertises the cushions.  Oh yea, the instructions for assembly are on the reverse side of the cushion/pillow advertisement.

Respected Contributor

Bernie, enjoy that bench when you get the new leg that is.

Weather was horrible last night - more than 1000 lightning strikes and thunder ALL NIGHT LONG. We rarely get either lightning or thunder. Course I grew up with that stuff and actually love it but it kept me awake last night. Today rain most of the day. Mercy me.

Am sure the feeders will need attention tomorrow so hopefully will be able to see if I can fill them. The flat feeder is the birds feeder but I will NOT put fresh seed in it when it will all float out. Nope, no way! Have really had to baby those feeders for the very first time. Even the covered feeders are getting water in them where the birds feed - that NEVER has happened before.

Love the picture of Conrad - St Patrick's  Day is truly approaching is it not?

Went and got my lab work done this morning for my short hospital stay next week. They are trying ONE AGAIN to get something out of my lungs they can do a biopsy on. For TWO YEARS now they nave not been able to do it. This time they are puncturing the wall of the lung [- scared me - but my MD assured me I should be fine. Hmn he is a great kidder sometimes.

Had to take Davey to school in Redlands this a.m. and also pick him up. tomorrow more rain is expected. Sigh

Hope all had a great day.

Honored Contributor

I found Barclay at www.scottishterriernews.com. So adorable!

Winifred,    I saw a video of some of the lightning that was flashing and striking around Southern California last night.    Wow,  you all made up for 'lost time' with all that sound and fury.   I love to have a bit of thunder at night when I am in bed, but not too close, because that would mean lightning is close and that scares me a bit.  Cloud to cloud is ok, but not cloud to ground.   

I have a fascination for lightning, but I guess that's to be expected what with my close encounters with that force of nature.   I often wonder what the bolt that hit me looked like.  Big, jagged, thin, ????   I am fascinated by it and fear it.   We have some storms coming on Saturday that might be thunderstorms.  I am not a fan of Spring at all due to severe weather.  I know I sound like a broken record saying that, but it's true.  I actually am afraid of Spring in many ways.   Not a happy time of year for me, but it is a beautiful season.   

We may have some snow or rain early in the morning but I did put some bird food out just in case.   I know with the cold temperatures we've been having,  11 and 12 degrees for the past 3 nights, that the birds need a boost in the morning till I can get out there and feed them  Snow on the ground makes it hard for them to find anything.  We didn't have much melting of the snow and ice on the ground today even though we got into the 30ies.  

Take care and I hope you can get a good night's sleep tonight. Heart Let us know how your hospital stay goes. 

My brother in law texted me earlier that my sister is in the hospital tonight after the ER admitted her.  She had a rather large kidney stone that they used lithotripsy on earlier this week.  She was in excruciating pain this evening and they found a stone is stuck in one of the tubes from the kidney to the bladder.   Hoping that thing passes.  Don't know what they'll do it it doesn't.  I guess they can go in and remove it.  Hope that's not necessary.