Honored Contributor

Re: We're all a little Irish in the March 2019 Bird's Nest

Good grief, I've been asbsent a few days this week Woman Surprised

We had some rocky weather a few days ago, storms moving across the state at 100 MPH.  I prepped the basement for me and the birds just in case.  Luckily the worst of the storm went NE of us and we didn't need to run for cover.

I went to the dentist on Thursday morning and she worked me over to remove a  3 piece fixed bridge that needed replacing.  She said that bridge didn't not want to let go and I said, after 21 years it feels like it's at home, lol.

Other than that, birds and wildlife are good.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I can see that Conrad and Miss Blackie were certainly ready for St Patrick's Day - both really adorable. We would have had a nice day except for those darn cold winds. The day itself was gorgeous but I could get nothing done outside. Not that I ever can do much at all these days but I cannot handle those winds.

Nice Church luncheon today - I use to go all the time but the past couple years due to me getting older than dirt and having both kids here all the time, well I just could not go. Started back last month and they are super nice people. Nope, not the church I go to but I love this gathering - everyone is so very nice.

Am tired so will head for the sack again. Sleep well and have a great day tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

Winifred,   We had some of those cold gusty winds on Wednesday and for most of yesterday, Thursday.   It was sunny here today and very little breeze at all.  It was 50 but in the shade it felt colder.   I had to fill the feeders twice today.   I keep watching out for "my" Juncos as I know that they'll soon be leaving here and winging north for the summer season.  I sure love seeing those happy and bouncy little birds. 

Lately a lot of White-throat and White-crown Sparrows have been coming closer to the house and I can look out one of the kitchen windows and watch them as they search for seed right below the window in the Kitchen garden.  I started tossing a bit of sunflower hearts and mixed seeds there as the big fat Yew bush is there to give the little ground feeders more safe cover. 

My kitty, Monet,  used to sit there and get her food on the wall that's partly covered by the Yew.  Monet crossed the Rainbow Bridge about 2 months ago and the birds are really using the Yew as a 'safe' place.   The Sharpshin and Cooper's hawks can't get into that bush, but I have seen one of them fly at that bush and try to flush out the littler birds.  One flew right in front of me, right at the Yew, and luckily for the little birds, they didn't fall for that ruse.   Startled me though to see that hawk come so close but it's not the first time one of them have come close to me.  Beautiful birds.  Heart

Honored Contributor

St Patricks Day Cat

Honored Contributor

I'm included in Black Cat Love by Kelly on Etsy

Honored Contributor

Since I don't cook the traditional St Patrick's Day meal, please enjoy some potato pancakes that I whipped up this morning Woman Wink

Image result for irish potato pancakes

Image result for irish blessings

A really large black bird was in my yard this morning, apparently going after the peanuts I put out for the squirrel.  I wasn't able to get the best picture however I will post it in a couple of minutes with some new shots of Gerry. 

Honored Contributor

Two recent photos of Grayson.  He was looking at himself in the mirrored coat closet doors and then he glanced my way.  

IMG_2174 (382x400).jpg

IMG_2173 (298x400).jpg

Honored Contributor

Gerry, at dusk near the end of February.  He was inspecting the seed that was tossed on the snow mound.  I couldn't use a flash or it would have scared him.

IMG_2202 (362x400).jpg

Honored Contributor

Gerry on sunny day a little over a week ago

IMG_2217 (400x277).jpg

Gerry heard something suspicious

IMG_2223 (286x400).jpg

Gerry - rear view drinking water out of the bowl

IMG_2219 (400x351).jpg

Finally got a photo of Gerry's face as he's drinking water out of the bowl

IMG_2224 (370x400).jpg

Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Good grief, I've been asbsent a few days this week Woman Surprised

We had some rocky weather a few days ago, storms moving across the state at 100 MPH.  I prepped the basement for me and the birds just in case.  Luckily the worst of the storm went NE of us and we didn't need to run for cover.

I went to the dentist on Thursday morning and she worked me over to remove a  3 piece fixed bridge that needed replacing.  She said that bridge didn't not want to let go and I said, after 21 years it feels like it's at home, lol.

Other than that, birds and wildlife are good.  

Birdmama

I have a 3 unit fixed bridge that I've had for over 39 years.  Its made out of dental gold and everytime I start a new dentist I see them looking over my gold bridge and I think they want to steal my gold!  

Happy St. Pat's Day to you.St Patrick's Day greeting.jpg