Honored Contributor

It sprung a leak at the 'o'rings, we had it repaired today.....$110.00.  A new one they quoted is $2,150...aprox.  The last one we bought was 19 years ago for $640.00.

The quoted style has way to many bells and whistles....including telling me how long the salt will last, notifys the company when something is wrong, etc., etc.   We just want an efficient softener, hopefully we can find one at a reasonable price. 

We will need it to be installed, dh is not handy....if he was we could have saved ourselves some money today.

Honored Contributor

Re: Water softener is OLD...

Mine is very old too.  From Sears and I have the maintenance contract.  I have them do a maintenance check once a year (it's covered) and any repairs have been at no charge.  I had no idea new ones cost that much now.  Not sure if my DH installed the one we have, but next time I will have to have one intstalled.  I really don't know of anyone else that uses one.  Neighbors disconnected the one that former owners had and never used one.  I do like having one.  When I have to get one, I don't want one with too many bells and whistles either.  Enough new stuff to learn these days.

Esteemed Contributor

Many appliances carry a requirement - that it be installed by a professional licensed dealer or equal.  I have a total house water softener and it must be serviced yearly to maintain the warranty.  Self installing isn't always only about saving a little money.

Honored Contributor

I had two installed around 12 years ago.  One in the old house and one in the new house.  The one for the new house was the first one I ever bought.  Due to my company buying the house, I had to have one installed.  I asked a former coworker to recommend a company.  I figured he owned his own modular home business and had contacts.  I think I paid for the Cadillac of water softeners $1800.  New house it cost $1100.  So do your homework, get three prices.  I think you can get a reputable company to do it closer to $1000 rather than $2000.

Trusted Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I had two installed around 12 years ago.  One in the old house and one in the new house.  The one for the new house was the first one I ever bought.  Due to my company buying the house, I had to have one installed.  I asked a former coworker to recommend a company.  I figured he owned his own modular home business and had contacts.  I think I paid for the Cadillac of water softeners $1800.  New house it cost $1100.  So do your homework, get three prices.  I think you can get a reputable company to do it closer to $1000 rather than $2000.

I want to second what @GCR18 recommended in getting 3 estimates.  That way you will know if your original $2000 estimate is out of line.  I think it is closer to norm that you might think depending on the brand of water softener and where you live.

I would like to caution you into going strictly on price.  You may be able to get one with fewer bells and whistles but I would not get the absolute bottom of the basement bare bones model.  Our costs us about $1500 roughly 15 years ago and thankfully we haven't had any issues.  Ours has a monitor that tells us the salt level which is helpful.  My MIL had an extremely cheap one installed.  Hers actually is costing her more money in the long run.  As 1 person living in her home she literally goes through 10 times more salt than we do for a family of 6 in 1 year.  Do your research first before investing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ours was over 2k in the house we just built. We also had two points installed for RO. We also have s beep that sounds when salt is low.