Honored Contributor

Re: Watching reruns of My Three Sons and Leave It To Beaver

I'm in the minority, I know, but I I'm 71 and  have no interest in old tv shows. I'm not sure why , but I think my humor has changed over the years. Also some attitudes make me cringe and really uncomfortable.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1  I'm also in the minority with you!  I grew up in the '50s and I don't think life was ever like it is protrayed in those shows.  I never watched them growing up--liked Westerns better--and don't watch them now.

Respected Contributor

@KKJSadly, Lani died too.

Respected Contributor

No matter how many times I watch these reruns I never tire of them.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@SeaMaiden Speaking of Robby (Don Grady) on MTS, am sure I'm behind the times but didn't know till recently his real-life sister was Lani O'Grady of Eight is Enough.

@KKJ     Yes!  She passed away in 2002 living in a trailer....alone... of drug overdose.... only 44 or so.  Sad.   She had a lot of mental issues.. depression and also alcoholism... 

And another actress, Susan Richardson in that show Eight is enough  who played Susan Bradford. (she always wore the blond pigtails)... ended up  in a bad way too:This is from 2013....

Former “Eight Is Enough” star Susan Richardson is reportedly broke, living in a trailer and suffering from “devastating” health problems.

The 60-year-old spoke with the National Enquirer, telling the magazine that she doesn’t want to complain too much, but she admits she has her fair share of problems.

The former actress was cast to play the fourth oldest child on “Eight Is Enough” back in 1977 and played the role of Susan Bradford for five seasons. Her career stalled once the series ended, and her last credit is the 1989 TV movie “An Eight Is Enough Wedding.”

Today, Richardson is wracked with medical problems, living with diabetes and having suffered several strokes. She has a digestive problem that she said have caused her to lose all of her teeth, and her weight has plummeted to a mere 60 pounds.

“I had a series of mini-strokes. Then I discovered I had a rare disorder that made my esophagus go spastic,” she told the magazine (via Hollywood.com)

Financial problems soon followed her ailing health, and now Richardson lives in a “rotting trailer” in Wagontown, Pa., that she can’t even afford to heat.

“There’s always something wrong with it. I desperately need a new trailer but I can’t afford it,” she said.

Richardson isn’t the only sitcom star to have fallen on hard times. Like Richardson, former “Happy Days” star Erin Moran is also broke and living like a recluse in Indiana, after being evicted from her home and a trailer park. The former actress has found herself in nothing but trouble, even getting in a drunken brawl with her 72-year-old mother-in-law last October.

And Adam Rich who played Nicholas also had drug problems... going to jail... a messed up life after the show....

Wow, didn't know all this about Susan. Thanks for the info, it's interesting. I do know that Connie Needham who played youngest sister Elizabeth battled ovarian cancer some time back but think she's doing ok now.  Think Willie Aames who played Tommy had his share of drug problems as well after the show.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 I'm 72 and grew up in the 50's as well. I loved LITBeaver because my "home" life was chaotic and dysfunctional and I longed for a family and home life like that.

In later episodes June often wore pants and flats!

Honored Contributor

I was picking up the episodes of My Three Sons, going through the entire series two times, because I kept forgetting how some of the transitions happened.  It was a fun journey, although a lot of the early episodes were not as much to my liking as later ones.   

I think when Mike left and Ernie came along, that was definitely a positive move.   

Leave it to Beaver was another fun one for sure.   I think I mentioned here one day that I met Ken Osmond and he was a really nice guy.   That show ended pretty abruptly, as well, as it seemed most did back then because they didn't have the opportunity to 'finish things up' as shows do these days when they know they are ending or being cn'd.

Respected Contributor

I love these shows, too.  Wish we had ME-TV, but it disappeared years ago.

Nice the way Ward tried so hard to relate to his kids.  June  could be a bit of a meddler, but meant well.  Guess she was what they call a "helicopter parent."

I liked "My Three Sons," too, even the later episodes with Dodie.

Honored Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

I think My Three Sons took a turn for the worse when Steve married Barbara and Dodie came onto the scene.  It "jumped the shark," as they say.

Respected Contributor

I

@ValuSkr wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

I think My Three Sons took a turn for the worse when Steve married Barbara and Dodie came onto the scene.  It "jumped the shark," as they say.

I post on a sitcom board, and many agree with you about the later seasons.