Respected Contributor

Re: Watch what the clerk is doing!

Was in Acme over the weekend at the deli counter. I typically wait and get my deli meats sliced fresh. Well, I live in a college town, so there are a lot of young newbies behind the counter.  Asked for the in store baked ham. He grabbed an end, a small end and was going to slice from there. I quietly asked him hey I would prefer it sliced from a larger, fresher ham.  He said well we have to use this up. Um I get that, but I don't want it.  Someone who has been there for a really long time stepped in and told the guy start with a new one...we can use that for ends and pieces packages.  Definitely gotta 👁 ball them.  

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

Was in Acme over the weekend at the deli counter. I typically wait and get my deli meats sliced fresh. Well, I live in a college town, so there are a lot of young newbies behind the counter.  Asked for the in store baked ham. He grabbed an end, a small end and was going to slice from there. I quietly asked him hey I would prefer it sliced from a larger, fresher ham.  He said well we have to use this up. Um I get that, but I don't want it.  Someone who has been there for a really long time stepped in and told the guy start with a new one...we can use that for ends and pieces packages.  Definitely gotta 👁 ball them.  

@bmorechick 

There's nothing wrong with an "ends and pieces" package since everything has a sell by date.

Respected Contributor

I have a roast in the crock pot today that I am slicing for sandwiches.  Buy on sale and cook up my own.  Freeze what we don't use for lunches down the road.  

My freezer is packed with sale items stocked up for winter.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found out all items on Giant Markets salad bars are at their sell-by or use-by dates. What a shame. I've always liked salad bars.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

I have never encounter that.  The grocery stores in my area the pre-sliced meat is outside of the meat counter and not easy for the clerk to see anyway.  I have never even had them suggest getting cold cuts from the pre-sliced section.  They always slice when asked.

@mimomof4 sounds like where I go.  They would have to come from behind the counter and walk over to where the pre-sliced packages are.  I have used he pre-sliced in a pinch, but I like mine sliced a bit thinner.

My one complaint is they often don't know to place something between each cheese slice so they don't stick together.  I don't want to get all up in their business, but it's a real problem especially with a soft cheese like fontina.

Honored Contributor

I would not have needed "corporate" to tell me she shouldn't have done that.  If course it's wrong and doesn't make sense.  That could not have happened where I shop because the packed cold cuts are not at the delivery counter where we get the freshly cut sliced Mears and cheeses, they are opposite the deli counter.  In the "grab and go" section.  The deli sandwiches are not pre-made, the meat and cheese are sliced individually for each sandwich.  That store is trying to reduce wasted product that is normal to have at the end of the day.  I wouldn't buy deli meat and cheese that is not freshly sliced in front of my eyes. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't had your issue here.  I stand there while they slice and they know me well.

I prefer the sliced London Broil to the roast beef.  I always buy a little over 1/3 lb. so it won't turn brown.  I also squeeze the air out every time I use it which keeps it more fresh.

So very sorry.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@bmorechick wrote:

@bmorechick 

There's nothing wrong with an "ends and pieces" package since everything has a sell by date.

@ECBG     i would not accept end cuts of deli sliced meats  and cheeses.   i don't buy cheese ends now.  they used to be packaged up for sale and i purchased them many years ago but with Listeria and other bacteria now,  i feel it's no longer safe. always made the best mac n' cheese with cheese ends.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline 

I feel I know exactly where you are coming from.

Because of health department protocal, blades have to be changed or their license is lost.

Honored Contributor

I buy my fresh lunchmeat from our local Amish store. They know us and give us the best service! The most delicious meat around! So glad I live where I do! Heart

"Pure Michigan"