Honored Contributor

Re: Warning about Internet Fraud

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I'm not directing this toward QVC, just to make that clear.  I'm just giving you some advice that I've learned in the last couple of days.  

My laptop somehow got hacked.  Yes, I have Norton on it and it was performing quick scans and did not warn me of any problems.  Little did I know that I had a Trojan attack until I found out that my Paypal account had been hacked.  

Be sure to run a full scan on your computer and do it often.

Don't keep your paypal account attached to any website where it can remember your password.  If you did, unattach it.  

Remember, your paypal account can reveal your banking information.

Check your accounts often to find any unusual activity.  I do, but I was hit just a couple of hours after logging into the account.

Set up alerts on all your credit cards.

Important - Change your passwords often.

Hackers troll Facebook looking for vulnerable accounts.

if you do find a virus, unplug the computer and break the network connection.

Don't get complacent because the hackers are out there big time.

I've spent the last two days setting up new accounts and changing passwords, at least twice.  My hacker got my email address and then spammed me.  I had to delete that account.

I now only use my hardwired computer but changed my modem information.

Froze my credit info with Experian.

Haven't had much sleep in the last couple of days.  Paranoia overload.

Did I mention, change your passwords and unplug paypal.....

If anyone has anything useful to add, do so.  No lectures please.

Don't say ......well it hasn't happened to me.  You could be the next loophole that they find.

@Scooby Doo  Why would this happen if you had a good firewall? Seems like your firewall did not fully protect you. Not a lecture to you, just curious why this would happen with a good firewall.

Valued Contributor

@Scooby Doo  Yes, I had "protection" too.  I have McAfee which is supposed to have a firewall.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I'm not directing this toward QVC, just to make that clear.  I'm just giving you some advice that I've learned in the last couple of days.  

My laptop somehow got hacked.  Yes, I have Norton on it and it was performing quick scans and did not warn me of any problems.  Little did I know that I had a Trojan attack until I found out that my Paypal account had been hacked.  

Be sure to run a full scan on your computer and do it often.

Don't keep your paypal account attached to any website where it can remember your password.  If you did, unattach it.  

Remember, your paypal account can reveal your banking information.

Check your accounts often to find any unusual activity.  I do, but I was hit just a couple of hours after logging into the account.

Set up alerts on all your credit cards.

Important - Change your passwords often.

Hackers troll Facebook looking for vulnerable accounts.

if you do find a virus, unplug the computer and break the network connection.

Don't get complacent because the hackers are out there big time.

I've spent the last two days setting up new accounts and changing passwords, at least twice.  My hacker got my email address and then spammed me.  I had to delete that account.

I now only use my hardwired computer but changed my modem information.

Froze my credit info with Experian.

Haven't had much sleep in the last couple of days.  Paranoia overload.

Did I mention, change your passwords and unplug paypal.....

If anyone has anything useful to add, do so.  No lectures please.

Don't say ......well it hasn't happened to me.  You could be the next loophole that they find.

@Scooby Doo  Why would this happen if you had a good firewall? Seems like your firewall did not fully protect you. Not a lecture to you, just curious why this would happen with a good firewall.

@SeaMaiden I guess Norton isn't  a good firewall.  Like I said, they lost my trust.  Some scammers know how to write virus' that get around firewalls.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo 

DH gets frequent emails (SPAM) that look EXACTLY as if they were sent by PAYPAL. 
I have gotten these too.

Do NOT log in from the link in your email.

Go directly to PAYPAL. They will research your account right then for you and let you know if there is a problem.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

It is useful to take the time to set one password per login, multiple emails, and multiple credit cards, silo things.  Of course every alert you can find.

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry that happened to you.  

I've been getting a lot of phishing disgused as PP lately so I closed that account.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the warning @Scooby Doo.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo 

Sorry to read your computer was hacked.

I found a YouTuber Thio Joe. He explains about malware, virus, and how and why your computer has become infected. He talks about how to stay safe. 

I recommend you add paid Malwarebytes to your security software mix. This product runs along with your internet security software. 

Valued Contributor

I had hacking issues a few years ago from Steinmart and Best Western breaches. I had to freeze credit and stay vigilant. Some hacker was trying to access my paypal account so they sent me a text that someone had failed attempts.They set up a 2 step code system whereupon they send a text when you log into your account. The code verifies it's you then you can continue.I have set up that system on other accounts too. I feel much safer doing that.

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Scooby Doo 

Sorry to read your computer was hacked.

I found a YouTuber Thio Joe. He explains about malware, virus, and how and why your computer has become infected. He talks about how to stay safe. 

I recommend you add paid Malwarebytes to your security software mix. This product runs along with your internet security software. 

@Nuttmeg Thank you for the reference.  I'm going to watch it right now.

I have paid malwarebytes on my main desktop computer but it was my laptop in another room that got hacked.  It has Norton on it.