Super Contributor

Re: Warning about Internet Fraud

I am so sorry this happened to you! Beyond annoying. Also, thanks for the reminder to be careful and vigilant.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  When did this happen? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo SO very sorry this happened to you.

DH is the area's top computer prow with a degree in Physics and Chemistry.

He swears by Malware and asks that his customers use it.  Those that don't got the randsome virus when those were hot.  They charged (one after having to pay!) very quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Scooby Doo  It doesn't hurt to be reminded of security issues. A couple of things I do is only use a gas card at the pump, have alerts on credit cards, use my phone (I have apple pay but there are electronic payments options for non apple phones) in stores as it is the most secure way of paying, check on line checking account daily.  

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo    This is a good reminder.  I rarely attach a CC or Pay Pal account to any purchases I make, but lately, I've made several purchases from Lands End.  I need to check and make sure I've deleted my CC.   

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I'm not directing this toward QVC, just to make that clear.  I'm just giving you some advice that I've learned in the last couple of days.  

My laptop somehow got hacked.  Yes, I have Norton on it and it was performing quick scans and did not warn me of any problems.  Little did I know that I had a Trojan attack until I found out that my Paypal account had been hacked.  

Be sure to run a full scan on your computer and do it often.

Don't keep your paypal account attached to any website where it can remember your password.  If you did, unattach it.  

Remember, your paypal account can reveal your banking information.

Check your accounts often to find any unusual activity.  I do, but I was hit just a couple of hours after logging into the account.

Set up alerts on all your credit cards.

Important - Change your passwords often.

Hackers troll Facebook looking for vulnerable accounts.

if you do find a virus, unplug the computer and break the network connection.

Don't get complacent because the hackers are out there big time.

I've spent the last two days setting up new accounts and changing passwords, at least twice.  My hacker got my email address and then spammed me.  I had to delete that account.

I now only use my hardwired computer but changed my modem information.

Froze my credit info with Experian.

Haven't had much sleep in the last couple of days.  Paranoia overload.

Did I mention, change your passwords and unplug paypal.....

If anyone has anything useful to add, do so.  No lectures please.

Don't say ......well it hasn't happened to me.  You could be the next loophole that they find.

@Scooby Doo Contact the credit bureaus and put holds on your accounts. 

Respected Contributor

Another thing I just remembered.  If you use your card on line and you're done, don't forget to close your browser and log out of that site.  I've noticed that I just automatically move on and when I go back to that site it's still open.  NO NO

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I don’t use passwords, I use phrases and fingerprint recognition.  Nothing is totally safe.

Once I had my debit card hacked.  I have a debit card that I keep small amounts in it.  I use it to order on line, gas, etc.  I received a call from someone from my bank telling me my card had been hacked.

The thieves opened up and removed the entire magnetic tapes in the tank.

By doing that they had access to the card number and the pin.  They took out $483.

The bank inspector couldn’t understand why I was so angry when he to

d me they don’t investigate anything under $500.  I said I’ll bet everyone of those stolen  cards were under $500.  No answer.

Thieves don’t get punished...no one bothers to investigate.....

What a world we live in these days.

It costs them more to investigate than what they think it's worth.  That's why they charge us so much in interest.. We pay for what those thieves steal.

Respected Contributor

@pprmntstx wrote:

@Scooby Doo  Last week, I was hacked by a professional scammer.  I took my computer to Staples to do a diagnostic.  It cost almost     $300 to repair the damage.

I wish that's all it cost me.

Mine is a laptop that I got from Dell at a special price.  Won't bother me to throw it in the garbage.  I'm just worried that the hacker was able to get access through the modem to my main computer.  Malwarebytes hasn't found anything.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Scooby Doo SO very sorry this happened to you.

DH is the area's top computer prow with a degree in Physics and Chemistry.

He swears by Malware and asks that his customers use it.  Those that dont got the randsome virus when those were hot.  They changed (one after having to pay!) very quickly.

I have Malware on my main computer.  But I have a small laptop that I keep in the kitchen for recipes, email, small stuff.  I did, however, have paypal on it.  That computer had Norton from comcast.  It did not catch the virus until I performed a deep scan.  Those things can be hidden deep.  Norton has lost my trust.