Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walking in someone’s shoes for just one day

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

Hi @ccassaday, I was just thinking about you yesterday and thinking how I had not read any posts from you for a long time. I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well and have some dental and other issues going on. When I feel as if no one understands my pain or my situation, I try to remember that everyone has something, sometimes we just don't see it on the outside. I hope you have better days ahead. Are you enjoying your house/room? I remember when you were so excited about the new house.

We love our house. Hard to believe we have lived there for almost a year. Hopefully I will be getting my headboard soon for my bedroom. I am hoping to get that before the nightstand so I can get my pictures up.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
Has anyone who is disabled ever felt that nobody understands how that disability effects you everyday. How a autoimmune disease can effect your mood to how much it can make your joints hurt to making you tired. Do you ever wish that people could just walk in your shoes for a couple of days to see how debilitating it can be.

@ccassaday. Do you feel the need to walk in the shoes of someone who has lost all their family, doesn't have water, lives on the street, is blind etc. etc.?  I really don't understand this question.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:
Has anyone who is disabled ever felt that nobody understands how that disability effects you everyday. How a autoimmune disease can effect your mood to how much it can make your joints hurt to making you tired. Do you ever wish that people could just walk in your shoes for a couple of days to see how debilitating it can be.

@ccassaday. Do you feel the need to walk in the shoes of someone who has lost all their family, doesn't have water, lives on the street, is blind etc. etc.?  I really don't understand this question.  

I think you missed the point.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday I think sooner was trying to help you think about how bad life can get for some people and hoping that you could see how lucky you are to have a nice home,family,food. The lives of others can be tougher than our own but we only truly understand our own suffering.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@ccassaday I think sooner was trying to help you think about how bad life can get for some people and hoping that you could see how lucky you are to have a nice home,family,food. The lives of others can be tougher than our own but we only truly understand our own suffering.

Don’t think for a second I don’t know how lucky I am. But it also doesn’t mean I am not allowed to feel blue once in awhile. This kind of the same argument I have heard about woman suffering from secondary infertility. People tell them they aren’t allowed to be sad because they were lucky to have one child. But the fact is when you want a baby and can’t get pregnant or doesn’t matter if you already have one.

All I am saying is I think everyone should have more emphathy for each other. You never know how hard something is until you experience it. 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

I understand where you're coming from and agree with you.  

I wasn't writing about those who are sick.  I was writing about all the people who just don't care that others struggle.   I'm beyond sad at the depths of selfishness and cold-heartedness in people.  We're seeing so much of it every day.  I don't understand it.  Life is so much better when one reaches out, helps, cares.  

I helped take care of my mom through her last two years.  It was a joy to be able to help.  She's been gone a year now.  I retired and am able to do for, and spend more time with, my elderly father.  Being able to help him and my disabled sister is a great joy in my life.  I look at it as my calling for as long as needed.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday. I really hope that your procedure goes way better than you expected and you heal quickly.After reading your post about women trying to have a baby I thought I’d share my story.I always wanted to be a mom and  was devastated to learn I was not going to conceive. I set about trying every surgery and procedure available.I remember one time after surgery I was chatting in a common room with a few other women about our surgeries.They were all there to have abortions....I just felt life was so very unfair but I didn’t stay put with that thought.I continued to hope and pray and try everything possible to conceive.In the middle of all of this I was told about a fourteen year ago girl about to give birth but her family could not keep the baby.That baby became the joy of my life but I sadly understood that my joy was her sorrow.I am forever grateful to her and I spent my life caring for our son ...loving him to the max and keeping him safe as I promised her.

Try not to allow yourself to be sad or feel like life is tough for too long....just keep focusing on the things you are working towards and the things or people who make you feel happy.I can’t empathize with you because I have not lived your life but I would hate to believe that you need that to feel validated.You are special and beautiful just as you are....I hope you will live your life to the fullest and challenge your challenges.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@ccassaday. I really hope that your procedure goes way better than you expected and you heal quickly.After reading your post about women trying to have a baby I thought I’d share my story.I always wanted to be a mom and  was devastated to learn I was not going to conceive. I set about trying every surgery and procedure available.I remember one time after surgery I was chatting in a common room with a few other women about our surgeries.They were all there to have abortions....I just felt life was so very unfair but I didn’t stay put with that thought.I continued to hope and pray and try everything possible to conceive.In the middle of all of this I was told about a fourteen year ago girl about to give birth but her family could not keep the baby.That baby became the joy of my life but I sadly understood that my joy was her sorrow.I am forever grateful to her and I spent my life caring for our son ...loving him to the max and keeping him safe as I promised her.

Try not to allow yourself to be sad or feel like life is tough for too long....just keep focusing on the things you are working towards and the things or people who make you feel happy.I can’t empathize with you because I have not lived your life but I would hate to believe that you need that to feel validated.You are special and beautiful just as you are....I hope you will live your life to the fullest and challenge your challenges.

Beautiful, @dex. I know you didn't type this for me, but thank you for sharing your sweet story.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex I echo what @happycat said.  

@ccassaday

Each person comes into this life with one or more less than perfect aspects to his physical or emotional body and without consciously knowing why.  The reason is hidden inside us and I personally believe we can and will find the answer.  We are meant to.

The purpose of life's journey is to follow the path (and there are many "right" paths) and make the choices (and there are many "right" choices) that will help us to find the reason or purpose of our life and when we find the meaning then we start to be more at ease, rather than filled with unease or "disease" or the inclination to despair.

Like St. Augustine and Pierre Telhard deChardin, and many other great seekers through the ages I believe we are restless until we find the center--the still point in the turning world.  Then there is peace, acceptance, with the self--our Self--which is part of the great all that is--the vast oneness of the Universe.

Honored Contributor

I'm probably not going to be able to express exactly what I'm trying to say.

You were venting in your own way, by posting this thread.  We all have these moments.  Using the word *wish* was a mistake. 

The original quote doesn't say *wish*, but I always felt it more or less implied.  Ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different interpretations....all valid, I should think.

I've noticed some others who won't start a thread like this, but are quick to post on one about how hard they've had it, have always had it,  how they endured their pain but kept their heads held high, marched through the licking flames, carried the wounded, gave everyone a sip from their cup, stopping only to hand money to the unfortunates.

And when they're not busy doing that, they are here to snarl at you @ccassaday