Honored Contributor

WHO’S GOING TO BLACK FRIDAY SALES?

[ Edited ]

I went one year w/ DD at midnight to her outlet mall. We took a three hour nap from 7-10, printed out our map of the mall and circled the stores in red we planned to hit. She lived in Northern VA then and it was freezing cold...husbands thought we were nuts!! 

By 3AM, we both had enough. The small sizes were gone, lines to get in and checkout were ridiculous. Yes, there were bargains to be had, but sales before Thanksgiving were pretty close to those prices. 

On my list, Ralph Lauren Outlet for linens, Cole Haan for black boots, Banana Republic and J Crew for anything (always hit or miss) and Pottery Barn, love that store. 

There were women there who seemed that they had been in training for this event. They were practically running from store to store, loaded down w/ heavy packages and no stops to put things in the car trunk. 

All in all, for us, it wasn’t worth it. By 6AM Friday morning, the mall stores had slashed prices and we were too exhausted to go! 

Am I going tomorrow morning? Heck no!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: WHO’S GOING TO BLACK FRIDAY SALES?

Shanus, I if I did go, I would pick the same stores.

I've never done these sales because I don't like the hectic atmosphere.

Also, tomorrow is a work day for me. Sigh.

Esteemed Contributor

Never have.Never will!!

Honored Contributor

Went one time years ago before it was called "black Friday."  Went to Macy's at Herald Square.  Have never and will never do it again.  Plus now there are sales year round.  Don't think the day after Thanksgiving is anything special anymore.

Valued Contributor

I am in the minority here but I used to take my two boys when they were school age.  It was hectic but we thought it was exciting.  Now granted we live in a rural area so while the stores were crowded and busy the atmosphere was friendly not crazy.  We would finish early and then go out to a big breakfast and be home by 8 AM.  I don't do it now because it is not fun to go by yourself and my husband despises crowds. But my sons still talk about it and ask every year if I am going to do it.  But seriously you can get great deals online and I have had good luck with QVC too - my Christmas shopping is about 99% done.  Need to get a gift for my goddaughter and 3 year old granddaughter.  That is it!  Even if I were to go out tomorrow it is hitting record cold temps in the Northeast so probably would cancel due to weather.

Regular Contributor

When my daughter was little we used to go as JCPenney used to give out those Disney figurines but now she is grown I am so happy not to go, at least not so early. I have to work tomorrow but will go after work just to see whats happening. 

Trusted Contributor

OMG, Shanus you bring back some wonderful memories with my Magpie sister.  We didn't go at midnight, but woke up super duper early one year.  Never again, but I do cherish the memories with her. 

This year I'll be online shopping wrapped in Frette linens, sipping some tea, snuggled in my bed buying prezzies for me.  Giggles.  Let the games begin!

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

OMG, Shanus you bring back some wonderful memories with my Magpie sister.  We didn't go at midnight, but woke up super duper early one year.  Never again, but I do cherish the memories with her. 

This year I'll be online shopping wrapped in Frette linens, sipping some tea, snuggled in my bed buying prezzies for me.  Giggles.  Let the games begin!

@Misplaced Parisian  As you can see, I’m already online. Many bargains to be had on many sites.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian  As you can see, I’m already online. Many bargains to be had on many sites.

@Shanus I've been shopping the bargains all week during the commute, walking to meetings, dialing into conference calls...love this little beast in my hand called a smartphone.  Giggles.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus I've been shopping the bargains all week during the commute, walking to meetings, dialing into conference calls...love this little beast in my hand called a smartphone.  Giggles.

@Misplaced Parisian  The cell is dangerous in that regard. I can order even while at the hair salon...no waiting until I get to my IPAD. 😜