Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT’S YOUR ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE & WHY?

@Mindy D wrote:

@ just bee wrote:

The Lion in Winter

Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn, The Lion in Winter (1968).

It's pretty much James Goldman's play in front of a camera.  I was probably 8 years old when I first saw it and it's been my favorite ever since.  My, that's half a century.

Brilliant dialogue, outstanding performances, incredible soundtrack and... I always sob brokenly at the end.

This is not my favorite movie but it is the best performance by an actress (Hepburn) that I’ve ever seen.

@Mindy D

It's a shame she had to "share" the Oscar that year.  But whenever I hear people say they never liked Kate Hepburn, I have to assume they never saw her in this film. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know that I have an all time favorite as there are so many that I really love.  One that I come back to and watch over and over is High Sierra with Humphry Bogart (my all time favorite actor) and Ida Lupino.  

Another that I could watch forever is All About Eve with Bette Davis.  Love her and anything she's in.

And lastly, I never tire of To Sir, With Love.  Sidney Poitier is so handsome, so classy, so sophisticated.  I love his character in this movie.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother was so impressed with Vivian Leigh's performance she made my middle name Leigh. I love everything about this movie, and specially Scarlett's spirited personality.

Esteemed Contributor

The funniest movie I've ever seen is The Birdcage with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane. It made me roar. The first time I saw it, I had to run to the bathroom...let's just say it was a "hysterical laughing emergency!"

Hank Azaria as "Agador Spartacus" made me cry laughing. I'm laughing now just thinking of him. 

I can add Madam X to the list, but that one made me ugly-cry the hardest.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anne of Green Gables DVD Region 1

I love Anne of Green Gables, with Megan Follows.  It is a family favorite, and I can't count how many times we have watched this. 

Edited to add:  Oops, I was supposed to give my reason why!  This movie gives us tears and laughter.  I love many of the quotes. Such as "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it."

I love Coleen Dewhurst and Richard Farnsworth and they are so perfect in their parts.  They ARE the characters they play.  Just so believable.  I love the story.  I love how their family was put together, in an unexpected way.   Anne was not the boy they were expecting.  I love Anne.  I love that she is "Anne with an e"  I love the story of Diana and Anne, and their friendship.  So many themes in this move.  Friendship, holding grudges or forgiveness, family, love. 

Trusted Contributor

I love Spartacus.  Just everything about it.

When the girl is taken away from him and put into the next cell and all he can do the next day is touch her hand and say "did he hurt you"  I'm a puddle on the floor.

Honored Contributor

"God is my Co-Pilot"

WHY you ask:

Love the history of the AVG-aka- The Flying Tigers for a starter. More because I have always been interested in the WWII Fighter Planes, and how young those pilots were during that era. Compared to a 20 year old in today's world, there is no comparison to be made.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Gone With The Wind.  I have always felt I could step back into pre Civil War days.  I found it as a young teen and have watched it over 25 times.

This is Scarlett in a Duncan Phyfe settee.

Image result for scarlett o'hara

Wasn't she the epitome of beauty in this picture? GWTW isn't my all-time favorite movie but I love this photograph.

Trusted Contributor

@IUredhead wrote:

Psycho - The shower scene still gets me every time. 

--Jeri

Jeri--I have the music from the shower scene as my cell phone's ring tone. Just before an important meeting, I forget to turn if off and, sure enough, it rang--loudly--in the middle of it. You can imagine the result (and I never forgot to turn it off again).

Trusted Contributor

GWTW isn't my all-time favorite movie (not even close) but my sister and I love the book and I think we could recite the whole thing just from memory Cat Tongue