Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT’S YOUR ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE & WHY?

Casablanca - For me, the first movie that lived up to the hype

Respected Contributor

This is a hard one.    Just for overall enjoyment, I'd say Body Heat with Kathleen Turner and William Hurt.   Great story, acting, music, cinematography, writing, directing and ending.  I've watched it 57 times.  

But for impact on me, Breakfast at Tiffanys.  I saw it as a teenager and decided right then that I'd never be just like everyone else.   My independent streak was born in that movie theatre that day.

Honored Contributor

I like Top Gun, it wasn’t the bestest movie made. 

I really like the music for this movie. I watch it more for the music than the movie.

Contributor

The Apartment.   Jack Lemmon and Shirley Mac Laine

Notorious      Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman

Splendor in the Grass.    Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

I really like the music for this movie. I watch it more for the music than the movie.

@viva923  DH has “surround sound” or whatever they’re calling it these days. When we built the house, he had speakers installed around the tv room. He plays TOP GUN at a deafening volume...the house shakes. Even w/ my hearing aids off, I can hear how loud it is! 

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

@viva923- I'm sure you'll be going to see the sequel when it comes out?  I know I'll be there!  I'm sure it's going to be a big hit when it gets released as popular as Top Gun was......good ole' Tom Cruise does it again.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Not sure I have a favorite. Depends on my mood. I suppose I would choose Godfather 1 & 2.

BTW, I must be one of the only people who really hates Gone with the Wind. I suppose I just can’t get past the depiction of slaves. Can’t stand any of the main characters except Rhett. Love Clark Gable. 💕 I will admit the film is visually stunning.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Young Frankenstein. When I was a kid, I watched the old 1930s horror movies incessantly. When Mel Brooks came out with his homage to all the wonderful Frankenstein movies, I was blown away. Young Frankenstein is funny, clever, and shows Mel Brooks’ love and fidelity to the old time horror films.

PS—I just have to add The Birdcage (absolutely hysterical)  and A Room With A View, which has the best ending of any movie I’ve ever seen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

Better-half watches a film once and that's it.  I can watch my favorites, over and over again, back to back even.

It drives him crazy.

The list of favorites is very long but if I have to choose just one...

The Lion in Winter

Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn, The Lion in Winter (1968).

It's pretty much James Goldman's play in front of a camera.  I was probably 8 years old when I first saw it and it's been my favorite ever since.  My, that's half a century.

Brilliant dialogue, outstanding performances, incredible soundtrack and... I always sob brokenly at the end.

@just bee wrote:

Better-half watches a film once and that's it.  I can watch my favorites, over and over again, back to back even.

It drives him crazy.

The list of favorites is very long but if I have to choose just one...

The Lion in Winter

Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn, The Lion in Winter (1968).

It's pretty much James Goldman's play in front of a camera.  I was probably 8 years old when I first saw it and it's been my favorite ever since.  My, that's half a century.

Brilliant dialogue, outstanding performances, incredible soundtrack and... I always sob brokenly at the end.

This is not my favorite movie but it is the best performance by an actress (Hepburn) that I’ve ever seen.

Honored Contributor

It’s a Wonderful Life is my favorite movie. It’s a piece of magic. Every time I watch it I notice something I never caught before. The details that Frank Capra, the director, added in are what makes this movie a standout and timeless.