Honored Contributor

I went to Wegman's yesterday around 3PM...not busy at all, but then again the store is never ending and there could be hundreds of people shopping and you never run into them. 

As said before, I did shop in Wegman's in VA with my kids and it's a love/hate relationship. If I need something special that no other store carries...I'll go back. For my weekly shopping, it's overwhelming! It's just the 2 of us and looking for sesame oil? There were 7 brands, with various ingredients and price points. I just don't need that many choices...very long aisles of too many brands. It felt like SAM'S without purchasing in quantity...walked my feet off to find just a few things. 

The bakery area is supreme  , but I wouldn't be shopping there. I might purchase a holiday meal or prepared foods from that speciality area. The veggies? OMG! I thought I knew every vegetable, there were many I've never seen or prepared...celery root?

This is what they call a "soft opening"...not much advertising, so crowds weren't as large as expected. I bet when people start coming in droves with coolers from towns nearby, you won't be able to get near the store. 

Do you have a Wegman's? What do you think of it?

Valued Contributor

I do have a local Wegmans and I love it. I can get everything I need in one place. They also have a great selection of wines.

Respected Contributor

I Do like the Wegmans near us.  As you say it is a Very large space.  Full of things I never knew were out there that I wanted to try.  If you are looking for something special They usually Have it.  The vegitables are always good looking, tempting even.  The Bakery is not only full of All things floury but It ALL TASTES GOOD TOO.  Unlike some other places where things Look good but have no taste. 

I Enjoyed walking through the Wegmans wonderland when I had time "BCV"  hopefully there will be such times again soon. 

Respected Contributor

I shop weekly at my Wegman's. I guess it's been there about 15 years. They've removed a lot of decorating things to make room for too much beer and wine. There's a state store across the street and it's within a mile of 2 beer stores in either direction. They no longer have a magazine section (just what's on the end of the checkouts) and it's starting to look like a warehouse club store. They also closed the section where you can get salads, etc. by the amount you want. Now the least you can get is a pound. I  think it's turning into just another grocery store. Not as special as it used to be.

Honored Contributor

Since my husband has been doing the shopping, he has decided Wegmans is his favorite store. Although he does use Shop rite for the basics.

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I shop weekly at my Wegman's. I guess it's been there about 15 years. They've removed a lot of decorating things to make room for too much beer and wine. There's a state store across the street and it's within a mile of 2 beer stores in either direction. They no longer have a magazine section (just what's on the end of the checkouts) and it's starting to look like a warehouse club store. They also closed the section where you can get salads, etc. by the amount you want. Now the least you can get is a pound. I  think it's turning into just another grocery store. Not as special as it used to be.

@catter70   I agree except for the size. I also noticed, like Target, there are about 2/3 self-checkout and only a few lines where a person checks you out and bags. This would be a no for me with a full cart.

Respected Contributor

Do not have one where I live but when i visit my son, I live there! I, totally, adore that store!  Everything is wonderful.  Meat, fish, bakery, cheeses, flowers.  The selection is fabulous as well as the quality!  They extra surprise..................they know how to pack your groceries!!!!!!  Seriously, they are trained and boy is that a pleasure!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   I do not have a wegman’s in Florida, but I have shopped in several of them in PA, VA, and NY.  I do think they are a good “foodies” source, but for my one-person shopping, pretty much not worth driving out of my way for routine purposes.

If I lived near a Wegman’s, I would go occasionally -  maybe for a special cheese, a loaf of good bread, even a bakery treat.  Sometimes I don’t find all that in the same store in other chains.

As it is, I can shop in 7 Publix within a few miles of home. For most of my shopping, I go to the smallest of them-  even they carry far more variety than I need.

Respected Contributor

No Wegman's in my state that I'm aware of. HEB is the monopoly here, but I can't complain, since they have supersize markets and smaller community stores, too. And, they aren't too far apart, either. There's one everywhere. 

Your Wegman's sounds like fun. It's nice to have a market that carries unique ingredients that you may need. I could spend some time there looking around.

But for the basics, I like my smaller markets. Get in, get out, without putting in 5,000 steps. I'd rather do that outside, in nature's company.

Honored Contributor

There is Wegmans about 20 minutes from me.  I like to shop there and do occasionally.

Their seafood is wonderful and always fresh. I buy their marinated chicken breast that is already packaged individually  by the piece.  The fresh vegetables are always fresh and potatoes are cheap.

Their canned Wegman veggies, like corn and green beans are 50 cents each and less if you buy their six pack unit.. They are better than any major brand IMO. I always stock up.

I usually buy a cheese spread with garlic and herbs that we love. Oh, love the sushi too.

I don't buy baked goods...way too expensive.  I once bought three small thin CC cookies and they were around $7. Their ready made food is expensive as well.

I don't shop there weekly, but I don't go weekly shopping anyway.  

I enjoy shopping there, especially during the summer months.