Honored Contributor

WATCHING THE GRANDDAUGHTERS THIS WEEK

On Monday, I'm going the 20 minutes away to babysit my grandchildren while my DS and DIL take a much needed trip alone. When they asked me, they thought it was an imposition. What?!?! It would be easier to have them come here, but under the circumstances, they are set up in different rooms with their "desks", computers, etc. for school. 

Of course, I've been cooking for several days and will be taking a huge cooler with meatballs in spaghetti sauce, a lasagna, a chicken casserole and a few suppers I know they like. There will be Pizza night and we'll bring in Chinese food...their requests. 

"Mom Mom", as they call me, is cautious about the teaching part. The 12 yr. old is way ahead of the math I know and can't help her at all. The 9 yr. old signed up for Mandarin...not the French which I had for years and can speak fairly well. She's on her own with that.

I told my son to stock up on my coffee and he gave me a list of instructions. Uh, I raised him and his year younger sister, so I think I can manage a week with the Girls. Of course, there will be a little wiggle room about bed time, letting them have ice cream, etc. That's why they like having me stay with them. SPOILING!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WATCHING THE GRANDDAUGHTERS THIS WEEK

enjoy your time with your grandkids while they're young....i just bought my oldest granddaughter her senior prom dress....don't know where the time went.....

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus   Your a terrific "mom mom" with all that cooking !  Impressive.

Enjoy your time with the grand babies.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I know you love every minute of it. Time with your grandkids is so precious..especially after what we have been thought for over a year.

Spoil them..that's what grandparents are suppose to doWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

@roxxy1 wrote:

@Shanus   Your a terrific "mom mom" with all that cooking !  Impressive.

Enjoy your time with the grand babies.   Smiley Happy

I cook every night for DH anyway, so will leave him part of each meal I prepare. The poor guy has a May 17th tax deadline and working 24/7 to finish. 

Super Contributor

You will enjoy.  I do this but only for a few days and my oldest was in Kindergarten.  The teachers sometimes kniw the parents are away and will go the extra mile with a grandparent in charge.  I know my DD teacher has.

Respected Contributor

Enjoy your time!  We had my BF's 5 & 6 year old granddaughers last weekend.  They are h*llions. 

I had them 4 hours before he arrived home from work.......2 meltowns and 11 (unnecessary) bandaids. Parents told me before they left that the older one cheats at games and cards, will search thru drawers and take things....etc. There is a history of ADHD in the family and i wonder if this little girl has not been diagnosed. Running, screaming, slamming doors, wrestling etc. 

The older one told her grandfather that she didn't have any shoes that fit her (she arrived w/2 pair of flip flops) so he bought them both new shoes for $100 and grumbled about the parents going on vacation when the kids didn't have shoes. I think grandpa just got outsmarted by his granddaughter. LOL 

They were thrilled with the temporary tatoos and were sent home with a giant bucket of beads they could put together and pull apart.  

Respected Contributor

Have a wonderful time with your grandchildren ❣️ A little "spoiling" here & there can be your little secret! Your meals sound delicious 😋!!
Honored Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

Enjoy your time!  We had my BF's 5 & 6 year old granddaughers last weekend.  They are h*llions. 

I had them 4 hours before he arrived home from work.......2 meltowns and 11 (unnecessary) bandaids. Parents told me before they left that the older one cheats at games and cards, will search thru drawers and take things....etc. There is a history of ADHD in the family and i wonder if this little girl has not been diagnosed. Running, screaming, slamming doors, wrestling etc. 

The older one told her grandfather that she didn't have any shoes that fit her (she arrived w/2 pair of flip flops) so he bought them both new shoes for $100 and grumbled about the parents going on vacation when the kids didn't have shoes. I think grandpa just got outsmarted by his granddaughter. LOL 

They were thrilled with the temporary tatoos and were sent home with a giant bucket of beads they could put together and pull apart.  

@cindyNC  Besides being a fellow North Carolian (I assume from your nic), you scared the he*l out of me thinking about what kids can get away with. So funny!

Thank goodness, my will be glued to their computers with school work most of the day...THEN, they're fairly good girls....12 and 9. I didn't raise my own kids with an "iron fist", but we didn't put up with bad manners, not telling the truth...We expected them to  be respectful, do their best with school work, listen when talked to and accept reasonable punishment when needed. They turned out to be great adults. 

I do think kids need strict rules. When they know what's accepted/expected and what is not, they have a strong frame and limits. My DS and DIL (also raised that way) have done a beautiful job with the granddaughters. They are a pleasure to be with and care for them. Thank God.

Valued Contributor

@Shanus  Have a wonderful time!  So glad to be back to some normalcy.

We had a "sleepover" with the grand girls- 4 and 16 months last weekend. The older grand girl,almost 9, had a gymnastic competition 4 hours away so DIL asked us to sit!!,

Was worried about the baby since we missed a lot of bonding time all last year but she napped and went to bed easily. The 4 year old told me out to use washer, TV remote, and fancy shower in their new techno house!!! We had a wonderful weekend.Now, watching all 3 this weekend!!!! Exhausting but love it!

ps Will you do a beauty day?? I can do mani/ped, but not hair.