Honored Contributor
I play volunteer gigs all the time, and love to do it. Actually I do more unpaid performance than paid.
Love to see people enjoying my music!
Honored Contributor

Re: Volunteer work anyone?

[ Edited ]

I work at our church's food bank. Love my work there and the friends I have made.We also headed up a food drive our HOA had and we got 50 boxes of food for the food bank. Plus we volunteered to collect food for the post office food drive. 

Previously I had volunteered at the local hospital and I did not find the work satisfying or that it felt like I did anything at all useful.

Esteemed Contributor

Great topic Newgate.  I'm enjoying reading what everyone does.  It gives me ideas.  I retired recently and would like to volunteer but I haven't found the right thing yet.  

Respected Contributor

I've been retired for 7 years. I volunteer nearly every day. I'm very involved with our local OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) group (I teach literature and music classes; lead a choral music interest group and one for readers theatre; I'm secretary for the advisory board). I also volunteer at our local library.

My favorite thing to do is read, but volunteering runs a close second!

Honored Contributor
Insomniac I am absolutely CRAZY about Readers' Theater/OTR !!!! You're not in NJ, are you?
I don't know of ANY groups around here.
Honored Contributor

I find volunteering a very personal choice. I'm not one to "toot my own horn."

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

For some reason in our area it isn't as easy to volunteer as you would think. You can't imagine the hoops you have to jump through to be a foster grandparent or volunteer for the Red Cross or hospice. I know a lot of people are interested in volunteering in these areas, but are not willing to jump through the hoops.

Honored Contributor

Anyone can use their skills and talents to virtual volunteer.

It's especially rewarding for those who are totally home-bound.

Just do a Google search for how and where.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:
Insomniac I am absolutely CRAZY about Readers' Theater/OTR !!!! You're not in NJ, are you?
I don't know of ANY groups around here.

Ok, so what is Reader's Theater/OTR?  I never know when I might want to get into something like this. I like the idea of reading to the kid's at the library. I used to do that as part of a job I once had. Kids are great!!

Frequent Contributor

I am a huge animal lover so I volunteer at an animal shelter.