Honored Contributor

Re: Very worst fear...........

[ Edited ]

Mice scare me too @Luvsmyfam. I can handle spiders and even garden snakes, but I scream at mice. My dad always said the mice were more afraid of us, but for some reason, they terrify me. My husband puts poison in our garage and checks the bait monthly. So far, nothing has been eaten this fall.

Honored Contributor

I caught one once on a glue trap. It took a few days but when I woke up one morning it was laying on it dead.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

Well Q friends call me what you want,but my very biggest fear is here. I have a mouse in my home,and am so very terrified, jumpy, nervous,and scream my bloody head off when I see it. I have several traps set(with peanutbutter) and constantly on guard.I have had this fear since I was little.I also have plugged in a silent sound machine that I bought a few yrs back at HSN.Whether this helps,who knows,but I will try anything.

Any suggestions of getting rid of this mouse will be greatly appreciated

@Luvsmyfam 

Not sure if you're really serious .... did you have a bad experience with a mouse in childhood?   

What do you think actually triggers it?  

It's smaller than you, so it's not like you had an alligator or bear sneak (snuck?) into your home.

If you don't want to call an exterminator, are there any male neighbors you can call?   

@Tinkrbl44 Male neighbors?  Really?

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't want mice in my house, but wouldn't want them harmed, so I would use a humane trap and release them.

If I were that afraid of a harmless mouse, I would make an appointment with a therapist to get over it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

THIS IS IMPORTANT!  I have had an experience like yours, did not sleep for days even after I solved the problem, because I was terrified.

I live in a large city in a tiny rental apartment, so I don't know if my solution would work for you (depends on your home), but it was effective for me.

Apologies to mice lovers.

When I saw a mouse in my apartment, I marched straight to my hardware store that was great (and is now closed), and I asked them what to do.  The nice man said to FIRST go through my entire apartment and look at anything that looked like a hole.  I was to fill that hole with steel wool, which they sold (mice can't eat through it), and cover with caulk, which they also sold.  I got a caulk gun, they were cheap.  I found the most popular entry points for the mice were the points where the radiators or heating pipes go through the walls.  The pipes move when gas goes through it and loosen up the drywall or whatever is around it, and are excellent entry points for mice.  Check water pipes for tubs, toilets, sinks, potential gaps in cabinets connected to the walls.  Holes for cables to go through the walls.  Anywhere there is a gap is a potential entry point for mice.  Seal them all up. 

AFTER I finished sealing my home, I set up the traps.  Set up humane traps in you want.  The only thing I trusted where the large glue traps for rats (also from the hardware store) as I have seen mice caught in small glue traps try to make a break for it, but they can't escape the large glue traps; I have also seen mice try to make a break for it with tiny kill traps.  Buy lots of traps because you will discard them once you catch a mouse, and I agree with @SilleeMee, there is no such thing as one mouse.  Be careful in handling the traps, they are very sticky and you don't want to lose them by gluing them to each other accidentally, or to get glue on yourself.  The glue is hard to remove.  Then, use your bait of choice.  My hardware guy recommended peanut butter (from the supermarket) and it worked like a charm.  I placed a little bit of peanut butter (half a teaspoon?) in the MIDDLE of the glue trap (because you don't know where he is coming from and you want to trap that sucker), and placed some glue traps along the walls, because that is where mice typically move, behind furniture, dark spaces.  The hardware guy told me this.

In a few minutes after placing the traps, I heard a mouse cry.  I grabbed a large paper bag (I had collected several), I carefully grabbed the edge of the glue trap with the crying mouse and placed it in the paper bag, and threw the bag in a metal garbage can.  Apologies again to the mice lovers.  I then placed a new trap in that same location with the same type of bait.  I did this several times in one day with several traps, until the crying stopped.  (By the way, mice also cry in humane traps, and regular kill traps that don't always kill.)  It was horrifying, but I think I trapped them all in one day.  I left the traps out for several days after that, waiting and not sleeping, and never heard any more cries, so I felt comfortable disposing of the remaining traps after a couple of weeks or so.  I monitor the places where I found openings, and if I see an opening start, more steel wool and caulk goes in.

It is important to seal your home BEFORE placing the traps, because if you just place traps with bait and leave the holes open, this is just an invitation for them to come in.  The way I did it, I knew I caught all the ones that were in my home, and that no more were coming because the holes were sealed.

This is hard and terrifying work but it was effective.

I had originally called my male super who has a male professional exterminator who does regular rounds (I live in a 100 year old apartment building with about about 70 apartments), and all they did was spread poison pellets.  That just means that if the mice eats the poison, it will die, but you won't know where.  I once found a dead mouse flattened in a file of documents, like when I used to press flowers in a book to preserve them except a lot more unpleasant.  Another mouse must have died behind the refrigerator, but I couldn't get to it.  So I am not a fan of exterminators.  And I don't assume that all men will help.

Best of luck.

I tackled this on my own.  It will be difficult, but you can do this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whatever you do, please don’t use poison.

Other animals may eat the poisoned rat/mouse and die a horrible death, hemorrhaging. People putting out poison for rats and mice kills cats, dogs, coyotes, foxes, .......

Trusted Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

We had a mice problem on our outside, screened in deck and the type of trap you mentioned is the only one that did the job.

DH had put out those, the 'contained' type of trap, where the mouse goes in and can't get back out (D-Con brand) and the bags of poison, but the only one successful was the type you're using.

One by one, we 'caught' them all. DH had the unpleasant job of removing them from the trap for disposal.

Be patient....they do work!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

peanut butter/bacon in a trap.  My husband used it once, many moons ago. Then he threw the whole bit away.

my "I hate those" are ants.  Now have to talk myself out of the panic and say

they/ it is lost

I'm King Kong to them/ it

They/ it took a wrong turn, bye bye.

It's better too, to stop and make myself get rational and not paniced.  

Respected Contributor

@Ronettes  We must be long lost sisters when it comes to centipedes..(and I live in NJ too!)   Just the thought of them puts goosebumps up and down me!  Spiders, mice, etc. not an issue but centipedes, now that's a whole different story!!!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Luvsmyfam 

I'd put the whole thing in the trash.  They used to be cardboard boxes; that was 2010.

I can't stand anything that darts.  Mouse or snake.

You had several threads about mice that got into your basement that you kept as pets??????

Very strange...