Honored Contributor

Uplifting Story on Hoda & Jenna today

[ Edited ]

They had a segment today about an assisted living facility during lockdown where some of the residents found joy watching a construction crew from their 3rd floor window and struck up a conversation through letters.  You can see the segment on their site.

I would probably be one of those construction crew fans as much as I enjoy watching Holmes on Homes shows.

Super Contributor

Re: Uplifting Story on Hoda & Jenna today

What a sweet, sweet story! So touching when 98 year old John replied that watching the construction works during his day makes him know that "the world outside is going on and it is going to continue to go on". Wow,that made me tear up. Thanks for sharing!

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess   I watched this because of your post.  My 50 year old nephew is in a facilty because of a major stroke he suffered a day after triple bypass surgery.  He is paralyzed on his left side.  His mom, my sister, noticed that there was construction going on at his housing.  She had him moved to a room with a view of this construction.  His days are long and this has helped to add something to his day.  

Small things aren't really small at all.  Thanks for posting.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Icegoddess   I watched this because of your post.  My 50 year old nephew is in a facilty because of a major stroke he suffered a day after triple bypass surgery.  He is paralyzed on his left side.  His mom, my sister, noticed that there was construction going on at his housing.  She had him moved to a room with a view of this construction.  His days are long and this has helped to add something to his day.  

@tends2dogs Oh gosh, how very sad for your nephew and your sister.  I hope your nephew can recover.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs thanks for posting.  The stimulation is so important.

Everybody else, I'm sorry the link was removed.  All you have to do is Google Hoda & Jenna and you should be able to find it.  It was the first thing that popped up and was the main video on the page.

Trusted Contributor

Oh, I saw this story.  It was so great!!  I am glad the construction took time to write back when the seniors wrote to them.  Sounds like the third floor is the place to be!

Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@tends2dogs Oh gosh, how very sad for your nephew and your sister.  I hope your nephew can recover.

Thank you for your kind thoughts, @Puppy Lips .  This happened December 31st.  He has a very long road ahead of him.  It is indeed a sad situation.  My sister is his caregiver.  She goes daily.  She is his advocate.  Life changing, for sure.  It shows you how life can change in a blink of an eye. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

That is a nice story.  My MIL is in an assisted living place and went through the dreaded lockdown.  They had construction guys outside doing work all winter long.  She loved sitting there watching them for part of the day.  She even said it was a good thing it wasn't summer time as many were good looking and may have even taken their shirts off!!  I am still laughing about that conversation!!  Woohoo!