Super Contributor

Update story from one year ago

over a year ago I posted on here about my son and new daughter-in-law...that they had married privately and then about the huge debackle over the party being thrown in their honor and all the ins and outs of that...much drama...I think many of you will remember the whole thing as it got a lot of attention...most were kind and gentle even if they did not agree with me..a few not so much.  So the update is they celebrated their one year anniversary, everything seemed fine, all relationships among the family seem that they were mended although, my mothers intuition continued to leave me a little unsettled.  In June, my daughter in law invited me to lunch with her as we had done prior to their marrying and since (once everyone ironed out the wrinkles)...she informed me at lunch that she had "lost herself" being married and was leaving my son.  He had bought a home for them 6 months before they got married and she felt he was to "into" the house, remodeling, repairing,etc...she did not like the "constraints" of home ownership, was not ready to give up girls night out and that kind of stuff...anyway, it was sad, he was devastated but is now at a point after counseling that he's questioning whether it should have ever happened to begin with...my heart broke for both of them actuallySmiley Sad  Anyway, I was on the beauty board this morning and just thought I would update those of you that so kindly gave me support at the beginning...no, I have not ever mentioned or reminded him that something just felt "off", you know that still small voice that says something is just not right, I can see in his eyes he understands now.  Hope you're all doing well and ready for Fall...jackie

Honored Contributor

Re: Update story from one year ago

jacnit, I do remember your posts and am sorry to read the update.  On the other hand, be glad your DIL decided she wanted out before there were children involved.

Respected Contributor

It is always sad when a couple doesn't get the Happy Ever After and it really does have an effect on both families. I am sorry for them and I hope they both find the right person to share their life with in the future.

Honored Contributor

How old are they, sounds like she needed to grow up before making the commitment to marriage

@jacnit wrote:

over a year ago I posted on here about my son and new daughter-in-law...that they had married privately and then about the huge debackle over the party being thrown in their honor and all the ins and outs of that...much drama...I think many of you will remember the whole thing as it got a lot of attention...most were kind and gentle even if they did not agree with me..a few not so much.  So the update is they celebrated their one year anniversary, everything seemed fine, all relationships among the family seem that they were mended although, my mothers intuition continued to leave me a little unsettled.  In June, my daughter in law invited me to lunch with her as we had done prior to their marrying and since (once everyone ironed out the wrinkles)...she informed me at lunch that she had "lost herself" being married and was leaving my son.  He had bought a home for them 6 months before they got married and she felt he was to "into" the house, remodeling, repairing,etc...she did not like the "constraints" of home ownership, was not ready to give up girls night out and that kind of stuff...anyway, it was sad, he was devastated but is now at a point after counseling that he's questioning whether it should have ever happened to begin with...my heart broke for both of them actuallySmiley Sad  Anyway, I was on the beauty board this morning and just thought I would update those of you that so kindly gave me support at the beginning...no, I have not ever mentioned or reminded him that something just felt "off", you know that still small voice that says something is just not right, I can see in his eyes he understands now.  Hope you're all doing well and ready for Fall...jackie

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@jacnit, do you find it strange that she was the one to deliver this news to you and not your son?  Seems a bit odd to me.  Sorry it didn't work out.  Maybe it's for the best in the longer term.  They are both young and no children are involved.  Best wishes for your son.  LM

Respected Contributor

Jackie, I remember your posts from before.  I am sorry for the pain and grief you are all experiencing.  I know you love them both dearly.  I say this quietly and respectfully, "this too shall pass".   And though it may not seem like it now, your son will love greatly again. 

Respected Contributor

Honestly, you went through so much at the beginning of that marriage!  The bride and her family were such control freaks and you and your husband just had to stand back.  Just thank goodness they will all be out of your lives.  They will find someone else to boss around.

Super Contributor

exactly my first thought and what I said to both of them

Super Contributor

thank you...I hope so too...I hope they take their time and work out their kinks before they move on.

Super Contributor

my son was 32 and she was 30...that was really my fear all along that she was such, I don't want to say a party girl really because she was/is not out of control with that aspect but she is very outgoing, loves big crowds, the big city, etc,etc..he's more of a hard working..sometimes needs to lighten up with it type, saves his money, homebody..don't get me wrong...they are both beautiful people but really opposites.