Super Contributor

Update on the MIL Visit After Asking For Activity Input

Since I cannot sleep, thought I'd update those who requested one on my dear MIL who visited my husband and I the past 16 days. You may remember I asked for ideas for activities to do with my elderly Mother-in-Law while she was on an extended stay with us out of state.

First, the visit went extremely well and flew by so fast! Where does the time go? We thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. One of our little toy poodles, Mocha, even became her bed buddy for a few nights, which the grandma ate up!

Just us two girls went to see the Wonder Woman movie, which we enjoyed. It was clean and decent to watch yet held our attention. Plus, we shared popcorn and a drink. A treat for her, a widow on a fixed income.

We took the grandpoodles to a park next to the river one day. I had to keep in mind the MIL is 83 with arthritis in her hip. So, she rested on a bench for awhile to watch the birds. One thing she enjoyed the most is sitting on our front porch, sipping coffee, birdwatching, reading and enjoying the peace and quiet. That was a daily occurence, in the mornings and evenings. When her son worked evenings, we'd sit out on the porch and just chew the fat about anything and everything, or sit and enjoy the quiet. Those were the most special times. We'd talk about her son and his funny antics. One day, Mocha decided to have a stand off with a deer--David vs. Goliath, and I had to run after the deer because the deer was about the attach my little 9.5 pound poodle. That scared the grandma and made me mad. I got so close to the deer, I thought I'd have to tackle it.

We did take the MIL to a local creamery for lunch and ice cream with the poodles. She LOVED that. Church was a weekly outing as well. I surprised her by playing her favorite piano solo as a special, and that caused her to cry which I wasn't expecting. That touched me deeply. Then she had to call my mother and tell her all about that. Wow!

Let's see: we did a little shopping. Mainly for the grandpoodles birthdays, which they share the same day. So, she got to celebrate their birthdays while visiting as well as Father's Day. That is a rarity, actually. That in and of itself made this visit very special.

Did a lot of cooking for her in the kitchen. Watched some DVD movies. And played cards. One thing I didn't know about her: she makes her own rules when it comes to UNO. Funny! We had lunch with some a dear friend and her mother, who just had a tumor removed from her breast. My MIL was able to encourage her during the lunch since she just went through that herself last year.

Mainly, I wanted her to rest. She devotes so much time and energy to the service of others that I didn't want her to lift a finger during her visit. She said she had gotten lazy.

Plus, she spend some alone time with her son while I was at work.

And yes, we put together the 1,000 piece bird puzzle!

We look forward with anticipation to our next visit at Christmastime.

Thank you again for your many suggestions. The one take away I got from everybody was to just enjoy her company and not to plan every minute of every day. I just followed her lead. And it worked out beautifully.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on the MIL Visit After Asking For Activity Input

What a wonderful report!  And you were so kind to come back and let everyone know how it all went.

Your MIL is very, very lucky to have you.  I know that you enjoy her company too, but many DIL's don't have such positive attitudes toward their husband's Moms.  She must be very, very grateful to have such a loving and sweet DIL.

I'm glad all went well!

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you had a wonderful time with a lovely lady.  It's nice she's such a good guest and you enjoy each other so much.  Seems as though it was a vacation of sorts for you too.  Quite a nice variety of activities which kept you two very busy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Posh Poodle, I am so glad that you and your MIL had such a memorable time.  Naturally, she will be cherishing these days she shared with you and her son.  I'm sure that she is hoping that summer and fall pass quickly so she can visit you at Christmas.

~

Wonder Woman was a good movie.  I'm glad she enjoyed it.

~

It was so thoughtful of you to have one of her favorite piano solos played at church Heart

~

Wow ... about that deer ... you could have gotten hurt ... but no lectures here! ... great that all ended well.

~

Thank you for posting this pleasurable visit and sharing the memories. Heart

Trusted Contributor

It's nice you both enjoyed the visit...you are both lucky to have such a wonderful relationship.  My mother-in-law and I get along extremely well also.  It's so different from my mother's relationship with her mother-in-law (my grandmother).  Throughout my entire childhood, I observed this...my grandmother was very opinionated and kind of controlling, kind of like "Marie Barone" on Everybody Loves Raymond! haha!  

Bet you are both looking forward to your next visit!

Respected Contributor

It sounds like this visit with your MIL was perfect and you and she will have great memories.   I'm glad she was able to spend some one-on-one time with her son.  Does he know that you are the best DIL in the US and maybe the World.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update!!

You hit the bullseye target it sounds like. 

What a rememberance you will have of all that, and it sounds like you did it all right!!!

I'm so glad for all of you. 

Very special!!

Honored Contributor

A lovely visit with a special lady! So glad it all worked out!

Image result for small smiley face pic

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you both had a wonderful time. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's nice to read something positive and uplifting on here,