Honored Contributor

Re: Update: To unionize or not?

[ Edited ]

@reiki604 wrote:

@kjae wrote:

I am glad that you are pleased with the outcome.  I do want to relate something that happened today at school.  Los Angeles will probably authorize a strike coming in October.  A colleague and I are over 65 and ready to retire probably at the end of this year.  If we go on strike I lose credit for the entire year on retirement benefits.  I need this year. to count  The question was asked by someone else if it affects retirement and the answer was given.. The response from our union rep was-well, you owe the rest of us your support and you just have to do it.  Really?  Will these people help to pay my bills when I am short $ each month?  

I was going to pass this post by but I couldn't. You have reaped the benefits of union membership that was hard fought and won by the sacrifices of those you came before you. Working where you do, you have excellent salary and benefits that will carry you into retirement. Yet you begrudge the same opportunity to people who work just as hard as you did for a few extra dollars. Since you are over 65, retire now so you won't be losing anything and leave the space open for someone who might appreciate what they are getting. I am sorry you 'need this year to count'. Unless it means vesting into your retirement package, at your age, the difference will be minimal. If you will be retiring where you will have trouble paying your bills, then stay for longer than one year. Personally I believe that's an exaggeration in an attempt to explain your selfishness to those you work with. It is about the many, not the one. Will you help pay the bills of those who need the money and benefits they will be striking for. I think not.

I couldn't agree more. If she is retiring on such a shoe string that every cent counts so much - maybe she needs to work longer to increase her overall benefit. I can't imagine that a teacher in a unionized district doesn't have a very decent retirement package.

Esteemed Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'm glad the union won.  There are always issues during change but have faith.  In the end, unions are a good thing.

Unions brought us 40 hour work weeks, benefits, vacation time, sick time, safe working conditions, overtime pay, and so much more.  

It’s also harder to fire a union employee and that’s not good.  

Unions have long had the "us against them" mentality.  They protect them because they are just another person paying dues. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@kjae wrote:

I am glad that you are pleased with the outcome.  I do want to relate something that happened today at school.  Los Angeles will probably authorize a strike coming in October.  A colleague and I are over 65 and ready to retire probably at the end of this year.  If we go on strike I lose credit for the entire year on retirement benefits.  I need this year. to count  The question was asked by someone else if it affects retirement and the answer was given.. The response from our union rep was-well, you owe the rest of us your support and you just have to do it.  Really?  Will these people help to pay my bills when I am short $ each month?  

Sorry you are going throught that just when you should be looking forward to your retirement.  That is the problem with unions, they make decisions that individuals may not.  Just look at all the pension funds that will be going under in the next few years, individuals may have made different decisons to protect the benefits they earned.  Now many will loose them.  Hope it works out for you.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@kjae wrote:

I was going to pass this post by but I couldn't. You have reaped the benefits of union membership that was hard fought and won by the sacrifices of those you came before you. Working where you do, you have excellent salary and benefits that will carry you into retirement. Yet you begrudge the same opportunity to people who work just as hard as you did for a few extra dollars. Since you are over 65, retire now so you won't be losing anything and leave the space open for someone who might appreciate what they are getting. I am sorry you 'need this year to count'. Unless it means vesting into your retirement package, at your age, the difference will be minimal. If you will be retiring where you will have trouble paying your bills, then stay for longer than one year. Personally I believe that's an exaggeration in an attempt to explain your selfishness to those you work with. It is about the many, not the one. Will you help pay the bills of those who need the money and benefits they will be striking for. I think not.

"It is about the many, not the one"  that is unless you are the one.  Do you follow that concept in other aspects of life?  In a world of diminishing resources, more people are going to be finding themselves being the one left behind.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@kjae wrote:

"It is about the many, not the one"  that is unless you are the one.  Do you follow that concept in other aspects of life?  In a world of diminishing resources, more people are going to be finding themselves being the one left behind.

Yes I do follow that concept especially if I have benefited from the work and sacrifices of others. If someone accepts a benefit one has a responsibility to make sure that others can too. The only reasons that resources are diminishing is that the selfish are trying to hoard everything for themselves on the backs of those who do the work. I believe in a  do unto others as you would have others do unto you kind of thing.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Contributor

That is not true in Pennsylvania.  Unions only represent their members AND their nonmembers to be sure due process is being followed.  Yes, nonmembers are represented just the same as members.  I am a teacher and, if there is a problem, a teacher is put on a one year improvement plan.  If the plan is not followed, the teacher is dismissed.  The union can't do anything about it.  You don't hear about it because it is confidential.  Teachers are often given the choice to leave or be fired.  The whole idea that teachers can't be dismissed once they have tenure is completely not true.  Since the Janus case passed the Supreme Court, unions will not be able to assess "fair share" dues (partial dues)  and must represent everyone even though they haven't paid one penny.  There are a few groups (like the Koch brothers) trying to break up unions so that they can make more than the billions they already make.  

Respected Contributor

@kjae With a situation such as yours usually, at least in my union, the negotiating committee would insist as part of the final agreement that you would not lose that year.  We persuaded casuals to come out on strike with us, or participate in other actions, and made sure they were not to be penalized in any way (like being let go) for standing with us.

Respected Contributor

@ChicagosuburbangirlThanks for letting us know the outcome of the vote.  Very gracious of you.  I wish you and your new union great success in now negotiating a wonderful first contract.  The hard work will really start for your bargaining unit now.  Stay flexible, creative in attitude and tactics, and stand tall and together. 

Trusted Contributor

@Bird mamaMy group was the only non union in our facility.

Honored Contributor

I worked  2/3 of my career for a hospital that was owned by Blue Cross.They were great employers. The professional staff was not unionized but all the non professional staff were, so we professionals got some really great benefits on the coat tails of the union contracts.They were very careful at our hospital to keep the non union employees as happy as they could because they didn't want us to unionize.Any complaint was readily addressed by our supervisors. For instance - they decided at one point nurses would be more efficient if we didn't sit down, so they took out our desks and put in a shelf at the height we could stand at. Now we had to work 12 hour shifts without ever sitting down.We were exhausted. Since they only now had a shelf  instead of a desk we also no longer had any where to put our purses - a big big deal since we could not put them in our lockers. We complained to the director of nursing and in no time at all - our desks & chairs were back.