Honored Contributor

Re: Up and coming non college degree careers...

@Goldengate8361    Really, force someone to go to college...I am her grandparent and do not have that power over her as it should be.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I see. That is understandable but, then, her parents should make her go.

Respected Contributor

College is not for everyone, and you can’t make someone want to go. College costs are very high. Why waste time and money? There are people who can help her choose her future. The best place to start is with a high school counselor. They have a lot of resources. Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361   With all due respect, what is the point of forcing someone to go to college...not everyone is college material...and her parents certainly do not have the money for college....I would never want her to go into debt for something she was forced to do....makes no sense.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs The statistics are unequivocal. Getting a college degree strongly enhances her likelihood of making more money throughout her life, as well as, of course, learning to think well. 18 year olds , at least the vast majority of them, are too immature to make such a bad decision. Adults in their life should insist on better decisions for them. Yes, you can make an 18 year old go to school.....And you can demand that they study and do well. 

Honored Contributor

I think she needs to leave and be in new surroundings.  I have taught at least 20,000 high school students.   Competition is fierce if you want a good income.   I know a lot of people that went to the local tech school.  They have a difficult time making ends meet in my experience. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs- You are correct 4-yr college isn't for everyone.  Speaking to a career/guidance counselor might assist your granddaughter in finding her way.  Jr.college is a good place to earn a certificate in something and will assist in the job market.  Best wishes to your granddaughter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to a trade school and did very well with my career.  

My biggest wish in life was that my kids would get college degrees.  I brought them up with the attitude that education is important and doesn't end at high school. I'm thrilled that they all have degrees and two now have Masters.  

There are many ways to get a degree without starting at a big college or 4 year college.   One of my sons chose to get all his basic courses done at a community college and then transfer to get his BS.  He worked in his field while getting his Masters and in the 3 years since earning it, he has had so many opportunities come his way.

One son chose to be with the National Guard and on ROTC scholarship during his 4 year degree. He got his Masters through an Army program -- hundreds of officers applied for 10 fulltime study scholarships and he got one.   

If I had my life to live over, that's the first thing I'd change.  I wish I had gone for a BA/BS.  I have a 2 year degree, trade school, state and federal securities licenses and lots of additional courses and training but I still wish I'd gone for a 4 year degree.  

I ended up in the corporate world.  Starting in the 1990s, all we heard about was hiring people with degrees.  I was a senior manager by then and would welcome those without degrees if they had experience or other training.  But I was a rarity among leaders in that corporation from then until I retired.

Actually, if I could do it over, I'd become a lawyer and work with single parents.  I ended up being a single parent so I know good attorneys that they can afford are needed.  

We don't always see the future very well at young ages.  

Honored Contributor

after seeing 2 kids thru college

my recommendation would be to go to a community college for the first 2 years and save some money and figure it out. then transfer 

the concept of sending kids to a 4 year school when they haven't a clue for $50K+/year  is not a practical one at any point even more now 

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs The statistics are unequivocal. Getting a college degree strongly enhances her likelihood of making more money throughout her life, as well as, of course, learning to think well. 18 year olds , at least the vast majority of them, are too immature to make such a bad decision. Adults in their life should insist on better decisions for them. Yes, you can make an 18 year old go to school.....And you can demand that they study and do well. 

I disagree, drop an unmotived or directionless kid at college with all that free time , is a recipe for disaster

u can demand doesn't mean you will get