Honored Contributor

Up and coming non college degree careers...

I have googled this subject but nothing interesting comes up.  Does any one have a website that I can send to my granddaughter that graduates this spring?  

She is really struggling as to what to do with her life (I remember graduating and being a loose ends) and on top of school closing early, and other social events cancelled, break up with boy friend she is struggling.

She was accepted at a 4 year college but she is not sure that is for her, a tech career might be right up her alley.

thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Up and coming non college degree careers...

Several years ago Mr Money Mustache had two posts on careers not requiring a degree.  I think you'd be able to find them easily on the site.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't have a website to offer but just think about it:

Trainer

Nail tech

Hair stylist/colorist

Medical assistant

Phlebotomist

Dental hygenist

Google is a great resource. Good luck. It's a tough one to figure for most. These may not be "up & coming" but .....there are computer courses at community colleges that may interest your daughter and do lead to jobs.

If your granddaughter isn't sure about college, perhaps she can start at community college, which might be an affordable option to discover what she's interested in. If she's set on entering the workforce, search middle skills jobs, which are jobs requiring some experience or an associate degree but not a bachelors degree. Congratulations on her upcoming graduation! Some sort of certificate or college program might be a good option as the economy begins to recover. Tell her she's the hope of the future!

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate  We have suggested a couple of the things you mentioned....she seems closed off to most suggestions.

It might be her age, and not wanting to hear  any thing we or her mom have to say...I remember being that age, so I undestand.

Respected Contributor

The health field is full of careers and folks can go to school while they are working to move up to higher paying employment.

Respected Contributor

bls.gov----student resources for website

Her local community college should have all kinds of info, especially job opening data about right where she lives.  She needs a "starter" goal, not necessarily for the long haul.  Lots of people start at community college, especially those who weren't really comfortable in high school. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

PS--While at the BLS.gov website, check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook.  It is nice to see some of the juicy salaries available.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    Your granddaughter should have a counselor at school who could give her all sorts of occupational information.  That's what they're hired to do.  She should call and make an appointment.

There many tech jobs in the medical field which require no degree.  If she's not into working with people, perhaps something in computer services would suit her.

She needs to get on this ASAP.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Whatever happened to the idea of just telling her that she IS going to college. Period. She is too young to make a mistake of this level that will impact the rest if her life and her earning potential. That is the reality whether one likes it or not.