Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Unbelievable Neighbor Request(s) #3

@Sheila P-BurgI answered this on another thread.  DH & I had a 4 hour round trip last week and we started talking about all the wierd things that had happened in our last neighborhood and I thought I would share a few just to see if others have had any experiences like ours.  We have lived all over the USA and 3 cities in AZ and hove owned and rented over the 37 years we have been married.  So many things happened that were strange there I would need my own forum.  I thought it might make for amusing reading with 3 of the cleaner and less disturbing things that happened.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I come from a very large family.  We get together regularly for birthdays and holidays.  Our routine has always been to share leftovers so everyone gets something if they want it.  

Whoever is hosting our card group asks what people would like to take home with them.   

All my friends share leftovers after a gathering or party.

I love sharing with family and friends.

I would never ask for take-out from an acquaintance or friend.  If offered, I often say no unless they are very close friends.  I love leftovers and would hate to take that delight that from someone else.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Jackhound Mom  I can relate to your posts about inconsiderate neighbors. 
  With age and experience I've learned not to let people take advantage of me. 
   I've taken new neighbors potted plants only to have them  take them and slam the door in my face while they were on the phone. So, I stopped that.

I've watched their houses while they were away, taken mail in and walked dogs, fed cats until it happened constantly and I learned to tell them "no, I can't"!

I've helped neighbors when they were ill and their grown children started expecting it. 
  Neighbors blow leaves and rocks in the street so people stumble and I still blow them and  gumballs  away so people won't fall. 
   I still offer my house if power is out since I have a generator. I help in emergencies. 
   I found a small sign that I just put on my shelf. It says:

"Sometimes you win, and sometimes you LEARN".

Trusted Contributor

@Jackhound Mom  ...... Thank you for explaining. I have, and I am sure others have, at times reflected on the "strange" or funny things that have happened in our lives. Especially during a 4 hour trip. Would like to hear more sometime (especially when the board is slow). 

Valued Contributor

I think we live in different times.   Although it was once thought of as a good thing to be neighborly....it really is different now.  My biggest complaint has been with neighbors who have borrowed a tool, flashlight or what have you and return it in worse shape then when it was loaned.   Now we just don't loan things.  Live and learn

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@Jackhound Mom  I can relate to your posts about inconsiderate neighbors. 
  With age and experience I've learned not to let people take advantage of me. 
   I've taken new neighbors potted plants only to have them  take them and slam the door in my face while they were on the phone. So, I stopped that.

I've watched their houses while they were away, taken mail in and walked dogs, fed cats until it happened constantly and I learned to tell them "no, I can't"!

I've helped neighbors when they were ill and their grown children started expecting it. 
  Neighbors blow leaves and rocks in the street so people stumble and I still blow them and  gumballs  away so people won't fall. 
   I still offer my house if power is out since I have a generator. I help in emergencies. 
   I found a small sign that I just put on my shelf. It says:

"Sometimes you win, and sometimes you LEARN".

@1SnickersI want You for my neighbor!  Thank you for sharing your experiences with me and others here.  Sometimes it feels better to know I'm not alone.  Can you believe someone said a negitive remark about my DH being too nice?  He is nice, hence 37 years of marriage Woman Wink  

Yes, hope we both learned!

Cathy