Honored Contributor

I'm hoping that @sonechko sees this, as I understand she is from the Ukraine.

A couple of years ago I planned a trip to the Ukraine but had to cancel it at the last minute. Sonechko, this was my itinerary and I plan to try again, probably next year. Do you feel I can get an adequate feel for the country by limiting my itinerary to the following places, taking around 2-3 weeks for a visit?

Kiev

Kremenchug

Dnepropetrovsk

Zaporozhye

Kherson

Odessa

I want to ensure I go to places that will pretty much let me not only enjoy the country but also learn the history of it.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @World Traveler! Wow, you are literally living up to your nick name! Well, I am out of the country of Ukrain for 35 years now, but very updated on what's going on there via internet since the days of Maidan and through the beginning of this war on the East of Ukraine, that our neighbor "gifted" the country with.

Kiev

Kremenchug

Dnepropetrovsk

Zaporozhye

Kherson

Odessa

These cities in bold print are a definite "yes" recommendation for the visit. I'd also add to them Lvov, in the Western Ukraine. Very beautiful, historical, very these days city, and maybe some scenic places in the Karpati Mountains.

Kiev is gorgeous! Odessa also is so nice and on the Black Sea. The other cities on your list, I do not know what to say, because I never was there myself, I left quite young. The only thing that I'd recommend, is if war still continues at the time you are ready to go there, try to stay away from cities near russian boarder in the zone of a war conflict to be safe. Hopefully, this craziness will be over by the time you go. Ukraine is a very beautiful country with wonderful people, I am sure you'll enjoy your trip.

@Drythe from our board can tell you even more, since she traveled there not too long ago, and she's been to the places and had experiences, I have not. Recently on one of the Internet sites, it linked me to the most beautiful and unique places in Ukraine. I looked and I was stunned - really nice!

Try to go in the warm time of the year - May - September to enjoy more sunshine, Ukraine is very green, the beaches of Dnepre in Kiev, Dnepropetrovsk, the fruits and the vegetables, that are so delicious there! But if you going for 2-3 weeks, the fewer cities you'll plan to cover, the more opportunity you'll have to really enjoy each one of them.

Honored Contributor

@sonechko wrote:

Hi @World Traveler! Wow, you are literally living up to your nick name! Well, I am out of the country of Ukrain for 35 years now, but very updated on what's going on there via internet since the days of Maidan and through the beginning of this war on the East of Ukraine, that our neighbor "gifted" the country with.

Kiev

Kremenchug

Dnepropetrovsk

Zaporozhye

Kherson

Odessa

These cities in bold print are a definite "yes" recommendation for the visit. I'd also add to them Lvov, in the Western Ukraine. Very beautiful, historical, very these days city, and maybe some scenic places in the Karpati Mountains.

Kiev is gorgeous! Odessa also is so nice and on the Black Sea. The other cities on your list, I do not know what to say, because I never was there myself, I left quite young. The only thing that I'd recommend, is if war still continues at the time you are ready to go there, try to stay away from cities near russian boarder in the zone of a war conflict to be safe. Hopefully, this craziness will be over by the time you go. Ukraine is a very beautiful country with wonderful people, I am sure you'll enjoy your trip.

@Drythe from our board can tell you even more, since she traveled there not too long ago, and she's been to the places and had experiences, I have not. Recently on one of the Internet sites, it linked me to the most beautiful and unique places in Ukraine. I looked and I was stunned - really nice!

Try to go in the warm time of the year - May - September to enjoy more sunshine, Ukraine is very green, the beaches of Dnepre in Kiev, Dnepropetrovsk, the fruits and the vegetables, that are so delicious there! But if you going for 2-3 weeks, the fewer cities you'll plan to cover, the more opportunity you'll have to really enjoy each one of them.

Oh, thanks for all the helpful information. Yes, my plan is to go during July or August. Some places I need to go during our winter because they are having their summer during our cold season. I usually get a chance to go into homes and have a meal with the locals, and that way I truly learn about their culture, rather than just going to tourist places.

If it turns out that I can make it over there as planned, then I will let you know how it went. Am already scheduled for three weeks in Ireland in June, and would like to try to make it over to the Ukraine after that.

Diakuju!  (hope that says thank you!)

Honored Contributor

@sonechko wrote:

Kiev

Kremenchug

Dnepropetrovsk

Zaporozhye

Kherson

Odessa

@World Traveler  and @sonechko paint a lovely description of the Ukraine. It sounds wonderful. I'm giving @Drythe another notification because the first one didn't take. 

FYI, World Traveler, if you look at Sonechko's post above, you'll notice that Drythe's name isn't highlighted in blue/green. That's the key which lets you know that the notification has gone out. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

FYI, World Traveler, if you look at Sonechko's post above, you'll notice that Drythe's name isn't highlighted in blue/green. That's the key which lets you know that the notification has gone out. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Oh, thanks! You guys are all pros at this. Smiley Happy  Thanks for the tip.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler@bebe777@sonechko

Sorry if I missed a shout-out.  I had a Prevnar 13 vaccanitation Tuesday and it knocked me for a loop!

But,  Yes, yes, yes!  I was fortunate enough to visit Ukraine in the Spring of 2013.

It was absolutely beautiful

I flew into Kiev with 2 friends and met up with 3 guides, women I had been in contact with via email.

We camped and stayed in private homes (arranged by guides) all the way down the Dnieper River to Odessa.  Spent 2 weeks in Odessa and then took a river boat cruise back up the Dnieper to Kiev where we spent another 2 weeks and then flew home.

We were in Sebastopol May 1st and were fortunate to hear a coral sung by the combined Russian and Ukraine Naval Choirs in honor of the May 1st recognition - absolutely stunning!

I am on the way out the door to a football game, but will gladly send more information if you are interested.

I met some of the kindest, most gentle, polite, welcoming and hospitable  people I've ever met along the way and it breaks my heart to think of what Russia has done to them - AGAIN!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Sorry if I missed a shout-out.  I had a Prevnar 13 vaccanitation Tuesday and it knocked me for a loop!

But,  Yes, yes, yes!  I was fortunate enough to visit Ukraine in the Spring of 2013.

I flew into Kiev with 2 friends and met up with 3 guides, women I had been in contact with via email.

We camped and stayed in private homes (arranged by guides) all the way down the Dnieper River to Odessa.  Spent 2 weeks in Odessa and then took a river boat cruise back up the Dnieper to Kiev where we spent another 2 weeks and then flew home.

We were in Sebastopol May 1st and were fortunate to hear a coral sung by the combined Russian and Ukraine Naval Choirs in honor of the May 1st recognition - absolutely stunning!

I am on the way out the door to a football game, but will gladly send more information if you are interested.

I met some of the kindest, most gentle, polite, welcoming and hospitable  people I've ever met along the way and it breaks my heart to think of what Russia has done to them - AGAIN!

Oh, thanks so much for the added information. Sounds like you had an aswersome time. I really am hoping to make it work this time. Getting to know the locals is how I like to travel. So if I go ahead and reschedule the trip for next summer, I will be sure to come back to you for answers to questions I am sure I will have at that time. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Drythe I hope you are feeling better now after your vaccination earlier this week. Smiley Happy

It sounds like you picked the perfect way to travel. It sounds as though you really got to get to know the country and the people. 

Your wrote... 

Yes... once again!

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I was sure I responded to you yesterday, but I don't see it! Grrrrr!

So, again, thanks so much for your response. It was very enlightening and interesting. I am definitely going to try again to get over there. It would probably be late July of next year at the earliest. As I get closer to departure and get more involved with my itinerary, I'll be sure to check back with you on any questions I may have. Thanks for your offer to more information.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Drythe, I have tried to respond to you twice, but it isn't working. I also tried using your name with @ sign and that didn't work either. Sure I'm not doing it correctly. But even when I tried to click on your response and answer that way, nothing happens. grrrrrr! It wouldn't take.

Anyway, thanks so much for your information, which was very interesting. I am not sure if I can go next year, but it would be the end of July if I do. As I get closer to the same when I plan my itinerary, I will check back with you. Thanks so much! Smiley Happy