Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh! I've lost my appetite ...

Just covered?  She should be on medical leave.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

When you think about it there the whole grocery store line is unsanitary to begin with. 

• How many times have you looked at the track and it has liquid on it from the person in front of you.  Imagine all of the germs that keep going around that thing over and over.   
  • Are the keys on the cash register every cleaned off. 
  • The cashiers are grabbing money which again is full of germs. 
  • If you are paying by card you have to touch a screen with other have already touched and also is likely never cleaned.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mimomof4 You are right....it’s a germ fest there!  The first thing I do when I get home is wash my hands!

i don’t think people are lacking in compassion at all in this scenario as described.  I have a loved one who suffers from psoriasis, and she is a very clean and tidy person.  She wouldn’t dream of handling people’s food items while scratching at her affected areas.

If a person has skin lesions that are oozing, flaking, and/or being scratched while on the job.....any job....they should be covered.  

Super Contributor

then she would complain about the scarf or headband on her head. i   can imagine how she felt about that, but i want to know why she posted on here instead of going to management. I feel the same way when i am in the grocery store or resturant when people start coughing. 

Honored Contributor

That would have bothered me too.  You things were packaged.  I would have rinsed the packages off or wiped them down when I got home.  I am not a germaphobe but ise common sense when it comes to cleanliness.  I probably would call the store manager and maybe the health department just to ask if there are any regulations regarding that type of thing but this type of thing underscores that importance of washing our fruits and veggies off when we get home and washing cans and bottles before we put them on the shelves or in the fridge.  Like I said I am no germaphobe but years ago, I just happened to look at how dirty the checkout area was and it disgusted me.  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@reviewer from sc wrote:

I know not all stores have them, but if possible, go through the self check-out lane. However, you have to also consider that some stockperson had to put these groceries out on the shelf. Who knows if he or she has washed his/her hands before putting the groceries out? I doubt it. I liked the suggestion to have a clorox wipe out and wipe down the groceries anyway. You can't be too careful, especially with flu season approaching...

Those self checkout registers are full germs.  Watch how many people touch the screens and push those buttons with their filthy hands.  Then you're up next .........

===================================

For sure. 

Re: the "self-check" out lines:

One thing I DON'T do is stay behind someone with flu medicine during flu season.  

If the person is paying for DayQuil, Theraflu ... anything that says, "cold & sinus", I move to another line.

Everything thing in a public building is gross and full of germs..  I watched a documentary in TV once where they swabbed hand railings, handles on refrigerator coolers in grocery stores, seats in movie theaters, handles on grocery carts and bathroom doors, sinks and toilets.

I was surprised to see that toilet seats were the cleanest and handles and railings the worst.  Bathrooms are cleaned often.  The the other surfaces are probably never or very seldom cleaned.

i haven't been sick in forever.  I ALWAYS clean my hands and steering wheel with anti bacterial wipes as soon as I get into the car after being out.  I never touch my mouth, eyes or face or eat anything until I do.

It makes me gag when I see people eating something they just purchased from the grocery store in their car or stopping at a fast food joint for a sandwich and eating it  without having cleaned their hands first.

Clean hands are better or just as good as a flu shot..almost.

Honored Contributor

That would gross me out too. I would wipe off the things you bought with an anti bacterial wipe! When I have had to go thru a line that you can tell the cashier is sick I always wipe all of what I bought!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I guess I'm in the minority here, but unless she was serving me food that I was about to eat, I wouldn't be very worried about catching anything.

I'm just not as alert as some here are about my environment when it comes to germs. And that's a good thing considering my plate is full with other concerns. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

One day I was at lunch with a friend.  We were at a pasta restaurant.

A waitress was carrying to the booth directly across from us spaghetti and some other meal with red sauce.

She had very long lots of pigtails (I think they're called dreadlocks, lots of them).  The were hanging over her shoulders and in the back.

My friend told me to look over.  Just as the waitress was coming up to deliver the food (two plates one in each hand); we saw the hair (not just the tip but a few inches dipping all in the red sauce (both plates).

After she handed them their plates the pigtails flopped over her top.  There were long red stains from where the hair had dipped in the food and then hit her shirt.

Thank goodness we didn't have the same waitress.  

I said to my friend, "That young woman either goes through a lot of uniforms (getting out the red stains) or she must use a lot of bleach because that was just two plates.

My friend said, "Didn't you see her top when she took their order?"  I said, "No.  I didn't notice".  She said, "She already had stains on it......probably from other food she'd been delivering."

Now that's really gross.  We're not talking even the tip of the pigtail, we're talking about a good few inches swaying in the red sauce.

Just remembering back makes my stomach turn.  I don't know if the people didn't see it or just ignored it.

I'd have said something.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My friend told me to look over.  Just as the waitress was coming up to deliver the food (two plates one in each hand); we saw the hair (not just the tip but a few inches dipping all in the red sauce (both plates).

Just remembering back makes my stomach turn.  I don't know if the people didn't see it or just ignored it.

I'd have said something.

===============================

Ugh!

That's disgusting!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."