Respected Contributor

Ugh! I've lost my appetite ...

Just made a quick run to the grocery store ...

After we exchanged "hellos", I noticed the cashier "scratching" her scalp as she was ringing up my groceries.  I only had 3 items.

AFTER I approached the register to pay, I noticed she had some kind of horrible skin sores on her hairline with flakes peeling off.

Although all my items were bagged, honestly, I've lost my appetite.

I don't think the store should allow her to handle other people's food.

Or ... am I being too germ-phobic?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh! I've lost my appetite ...

@RinaRina wrote:

Just made a quick run to the grocery store ...

After we exchanged "hellos", I noticed the cashier "scratching" her scalp as she was ringing up my groceries.  I only had 3 items.

AFTER I approached the register to pay, I noticed she had some kind of horrible skin sores on her hairline with flakes peeling off.

Although all my items were bagged, honestly, I've lost my appetite.

I think the store has an obligation to the customer to counsel the employee  and insist she have those areas covered by a head band or something. I would have complained to customer service and said just that.

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina I would be totally grossed out by that.  I would have stopped at the Courtesy Desk on the way out and told the manager.  Saying I didn’t want to get her in trouble, but that needs to be addressed.

I would have taken a Chlorox wipe to my purchases when I got home....hopefully no unbagged produce.

A grown person should know not to be digging at a skin condition while handling people’s groceries.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina CALL THE MANAGER. That's likely a violation of some health codes and it is sickening. Don't let this go by. The cashier should have the areas covered. Yuck yuck.

Honored Contributor

No, that is pretty gross.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

I think the store has an obligation to the customer to counsel the employee  and insist she have those areas covered by a head band or something. I would have complained to customer service and said just that.

=====================================================

Exactly!

I always try to put myself in the other persons shoes.  I thought, maybe she has to work (like people who have the flu, but can't stay home because they need the money).

So, putting myself in her shoes, I would've covered that area with a head band. 

That "digging & scratching" with those fake nails was disgusting!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

This would not have bothered me as long as my items were bagged or in sealed packaging.   

Now if I had witnessed an employee stocking chicken and other meats, then move to stock celery, tomatoes, or cucumbers with ungloved hands, I might be tempted to say something.

Trusted Contributor

There was a cashier at my store that had a bad rash on her hands.  I do not know if it was eczema, psoriasis, or poison ivy.  But, she wore gloves while checking out people’s groceries.  Anything with the scalp is gross.

Super Contributor

I know not all stores have them, but if possible, go through the self check-out lane. However, you have to also consider that some stockperson had to put these groceries out on the shelf. Who knows if he or she has washed his/her hands before putting the groceries out? I doubt it. I liked the suggestion to have a clorox wipe out and wipe down the groceries anyway. You can't be too careful, especially with flu season approaching...

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@RinaRina CALL THE MANAGER. That's likely a violation of some health codes and it is sickening. Don't let this go by. The cashier should have the areas covered. Yuck yuck.

It's got to be (a violation). 

Rarely do I come home in the evening with NO appetite.

But tonite, I was just grossed out ... and SHE KNEW IT because while we were talking, I was looking at her hairline!   I wanted to ask her what happened to her scalp.

Unfortunately, I didn't have my glasses, and had asked her about an ingredient on one of the bags.  That's when I looked at the fake "claws".

The problem is, if I call the store manager tomorrow, I'm sure she'll know I complained  because I kept looking at the front of her hair.

She had a tiara of huge snowflakes around her scalp.

Ugh!