Respected Contributor

Re: UPDATE on Well, this was scary

My daughter has schizoaffective disorder and even with the meds she can get bad. I miss the original post, what happened?

Honored Contributor

I didn't see your original post and I assume an Order of Protection is like a Restraining Order.  I don't want to upset you but truth is truth;  they aren't worth the paper they are printed on.  It gives victims a false sense of security.  No one would ever think that a person with that woman's issues cares anything at all about an Order of Protection, she's a mentally ill woman.  

Esteemed Contributor

Scary....but at least you KNOW now.....

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 - Daughter's ex-husband had the kids at the playground behind my daughter's apt bldg last weekend when this woman approached the ex asking why he had her children. She was using her phone to video tape them. She then stated she was going to call her husband to come and get them.

With this daughter's ex called her and told her to get to the playground ASAP. She got the woman away from the kids claiming she was going to help her out. She called the police and the woman took off when she heard the sirens.

Daughter is an Assistant District Attorney so she knew what to do and say - very scary.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree - You are correct in saying this woman will probably ignore anything - she is mentally ill.

However, you still need to file paper with the courts should you need the information or arrest down the road.

My daughter has worked in child abuse and domestic violence her entire career - she knows what she is doing and does it by the book.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Tell her to keep an eye on her kids. Maybe stay away from the park for a while.

I'm familiar with Schizophrenics some what & I can tell you they will not lock her up in a facility unless they think she is a harm to others. That's the only way they will keep her unless she admits herself. Even then she won't be there long. 

It's hard to get help for them if they don't want it. HIPPA laws make it hard to help them. I think that's what the state wants so they don't have to pay for their treatment. It's sad but true.

Hate to say but order of protection probably won't do much good. Since this person is schizophrenic & not on meds she would not understad what that is or means.

These people need help & the state they live in should be giving it. They only make things worse by leaving these people homeless. 

Some don't won't help & you cannot help someone that does not want it.

So what help should the state be giving?  Should they incarcerate her against her will and force her to take her medication?