Honored Contributor

UPDATE: Programs for medications for low income

[ Edited ]

My niece's husband has cancer, they have a low income and have already been turned down for a medication that was prescribed by their doctor.  

She did try to get in to the Cancer Institute of America so he could be treated there but their insurance is not accepted.

Years ago I recall a conversation on these boards about a website that assisted those that needed help with medications.  If anyone knows that site name would you share it with me?

I did mention that maybe she could go directly to drug company for help but if there is an easier route I'd like to let her know.  Thank you

Trusted Contributor

Re: Programs for medications for low income

The one I have heard of but have not used is GOOD RX.  Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

Those drug ads on TV frequently mention that if you're unable to afford drug XYZ to contact the drug company, so they need to find out who makes it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@justashopper   Thanks, but this was before Good RX existed.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I did tell her to go directly to the drug company, but I was thinking the website that I cannot recall the name of cut thru some of the paperwork.  I might have saved the info in my stack of stuff, it's just finding it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs, GoodRx and SingleCare are good for a lot of medications but if it's an expensive medication the drug company would probably be the best source for assistance. most major drug companies have assistance programs of some sort available for low income or uninsured people. another option to start with would be to request samples from the prescribing physician and also to ask the office staff if they are aware of any local sources or programs that might help.

edited to add: ask your niece if a prior authorization has been done by the doctor's office. in many cases this will result in coverage by the patient's insurance even if it was previously denied.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

@Mom2DogsI'm not aware of a website, but I suggest that your niece and her husband ask his doctor if he knows of such a website, and if he'd be willing to write a letter to the drug company on their behalf.  Another question they might want to ask the doctor is if there are any clinical trials (preferably at a local institution) for which he'd be a suitable candidate.  If so, the institution might cover the bulk of the treatment bills.  

I wish them well, and you too.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I don't understand.  you don't need this now?  This is just something your curious about?  

Valued Contributor

I know that circumstances and opportunities vary widely for people who need help, but I would speak to your doctor about contacting the drug company to see if they have a program to assist people who cannot afford the essential meds prescribed.

I am diabetic and my doctor prescribed an injectable once a week medication to work in conjunction with my Metformin since my sugar number and A1C were sky high.

When I went to pick it up at the pharmacy they cheerfully told me that would be $435.00

for my one month supply.  I told them to forget it and then told my doctor to come up with a Plan B because I wasn't going to give up food and my car to afford the drug.

The hospital pharmacist sent me an application and I and my doctor filled it out and sent it to the drug manufacturer.  I now have this medication (which works WONDERS for me BTW...) sent to me FOR FREE from the maker.  I don't know that everyone will have such great fortune, but you never know until you give it a shot.  God bless you and your husband and best of luck with some assistance.

Honored Contributor

I googled " drug programs for low income patients" and got some suggestions.  Maybe the first couple will help.

Screenshot_20220710-200626_kindlephoto-321564058.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment