Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trying to schedule a colonoscopy

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Why are there so many spaces after your posts, @chrystaltree? You have to scroll so far to get to the next post. 

@GenXmuse  I thought something was wrong with my computer. I scrolled and scrolled and went down stairs and came back and did some more scrolling. It finally worked.

@Sage04   I thought you went downstairs to look for the rest of the thread!

@Lucky Charm  you really made me Laugh Out Loud. That is funny!!!

Honored Contributor

@Reilley wrote:

@chrystaltree  All colonoscopy's have to be set in a hospital setting which can be a actual hospital, or something like an out going clinic.  Where I live in Northern California, your primary physician sends a referral to a doctor that performs such surgeries.  Then that surgeon's office contacts the patient to set up the time, place, etc.  I guess I have it easy because they are calling me so I am not put on hold which can be very aggravating and your wasted time.  You may have already tried this...but try calling early AM as soon as their office opens. 

Actually, they dont.  I receive my care at a huge group practice that has it's own endoscopy department.  They do many ambulatory and minimally invasive medical procedures.  Including colonoscopies.   But I have Afib. Cardiology cleared me for the colonoscopy but they want it done at the hospital my practice is affiliated with.  Hubby is an RN and he thinks after the procedure, they'll keep me for 12-23 hours of observation while they monitor my heart.  I have to wait for the hospital scheduler to call me with the date.   I'll give them a few days before I follow up.  

Respected Contributor

Dealing with physician's offices is getting more and more difficult.  I tried every day for a week to get appointment at dermatologist.  The answering machine indicated they were open but probably busy.  Well, each time they returned call the next day - naturally at a time where I was not available.  I tried returning call but again recording.  Left new message each day.  Finally last time I left message - make me an appointment and call and let me know when it is.  I never got that call.  Someone suggested making online appointment and that worked.  When I reported issue to doctor, she indicated I was not only one having difficulty.  But they were supposed to be answering during office hours.  I guess actual office does not answer office calls - only service out of town .  some company owns office - the doctor sold it.

Got bill from physician and was previously told all is paid.  Bills keep coming.  Trying to get a hold of actual person but that requires many calls !  Its like we have to do work because incompetents are running offices.

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree   I have had 4 colonoscopies but only because I am over 70 (my first at 63).  I can't imagine having Afib.  Thanks for setting me straight!  Hope all goes well with your procedure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My GI Dr. told me to get on mychart to schedule mine so about a week later I put in the request thinking I was at least doing something to get the ball rolling on my first one.  Within 30 minutes they called me to set the date and inside I was screaming NOOOO this is way too soon.  Within moments of our hanging up with the date decided I had received all my instructions and the script for the prep.  It was way too fast for me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:
My GI Dr. told me to get on mychart to schedule mine so about a week later I put in the request thinking I was at least doing something to get the ball rolling on my first one. Within 30 minutes they called me to set the date and inside I was screaming NOOOO this is way too soon. Within moments of our hanging up with the date decided I had received all my instructions and the script for the prep. It was way too fast for me.
That's how it works 90% of the time but apparently not in my case. I'll give it some time.

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:
When I had my colonoscopy I had to go to see a gastroenterologist first. I made the appointment at bis office that same day. I have never heard of scheduling a colonoscopy by telephone.

I've never had to go to a gastro first.

Every 5 years, the office where I go for colonoscopies sends me paperwork and call me to set up the appointment once it's returned. 

I'm religious about colonoscopies. One of my brothers had his first at age 50 and they removed a big chunk of colon due to cancer. Another brother was found to have colon cancer at age 60 and had 18" of his colon removed. It runs rampant on both sides of my family.

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 

@beckyb1012 wrote:

My GI Dr. told me to get on mychart to schedule mine so about a week later I put in the request thinking I was at least doing something to get the ball rolling on my first one.  Within 30 minutes they called me to set the date and inside I was screaming NOOOO this is way too soon.  Within moments of our hanging up with the date decided I had received all my instructions and the script for the prep.  It was way too fast for me.

I had to do a cologuard because of age.Results yesterday, positive .  I didn't wait for my Dr. who is not in this week.  I called the Gastronology Dept. and I'm scheduled for next Friday.  All my other ones through the years were OK, so I am trying not to worry.  Prayers would help . Thank you

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvcaddition Sending best wishes to you for the procedure to go easily and for a healthy outcome. 💕

Esteemed Contributor

@MOMMAVik 

@MOMMAVik wrote:

@qvcaddition Sending best wishes to you for the procedure to go easily and for a healthy outcome. 💕

Thank you.  I am shocked because all the rest were OK.

I looked up my last record in 2018 and it was fine. This is a hard week.  The waiting.  Thank you again.