Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I wanted to purchase a telescoping power saw....QVC sells one, but the reviews are not great...the biggest problem is the unit is top heavy and cutting thru branches, it sounds like it does not do a good job!!  What, that is what it is for....I really need to do some trimming higher up in a tree in our yard....any suggestions on a unit that works that is not top heavy?

Respected Contributor

Re: Trimming tree branches....

The pole saws are top heavy -very difficult to balance while you are trying to trim.  I got a Greenworks on HSN - I use it - but it is difficult  - does a great job though. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal....so standing on a ladder and using the saw would be a big no?  The branches are high up, and it would be me on the ladder, DH is older than me and will not get on a ladder.   I so want to clean up the tree and not pay $250 to get it cleaned   up.

Esteemed Contributor

What is the diameter of the branches that need to be cut?

Anything more than 3" or so, I'd get a pro. You've got all that weight falling and once they're down, you'll likely have to cut them smaller to dispose of.

Respected Contributor

I bought a pole-type trimmer a while back at Home Depot. It's not a power one because I don't think I could handle one like that with the weight and the height. But, the one I bought does a good job. I have a lawn maintainence service, and one of the guys bought one that's larger than mine, and he bought it at Home Depot. Once the branches are down, they still have to be cut into smaller pieces, so mine works for my needs. A lawn and garden center or home improvement center should be able to give you.a selection and information.

Respected Contributor

I'm in the same boat. I have that saw, but more often these days I grab the pole branch trimmer saw combo that is not powered. Much lighter weight, I go up the ladder and saw away, take a break if I need to, then back to sawing. 

I was shocked at what they charge for tree trimming. I have one tree that is head to toe, the nastiest stickers I've ever seen. Had to hire out that job, a couple branches was a couple hundred dollars. Ugh.

Honored Contributor

I need to have some branches cut away from my roof and also some branches cut back from the bird feeders so the squirrels can't jump on the feeders.  I'm going to pay someone to do it though.  I would be scared to get on a ladder and try to do it myself.  I hate to, but I think it really needs to be done.  

Besides the fact that the branches shouldn't hit the roof, I can't feed the birds anymore until I get that branch cut down and I really enjoy sitting out on my porch and watching them.

I hope you're able to find something you can easily handle if that's what you want to do.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@hoosieroriginal....so standing on a ladder and using the saw would be a big no?  The branches are high up, and it would be me on the ladder, DH is older than me and will not get on a ladder.   I so want to clean up the tree and not pay $250 to get it cleaned   up.

@Mom2Dogs  That $250. might be small potatoes compared to what it would cost if something went awry.  Power tools are wonderful but can be dangerous for a novice to handle.  There are many things I just don't do anymore.  I'd either hire someone or live with scraggly branches. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I believe the instructions say- DO NOT STAND ON LADDER!  Seriously - don't.  I can hardly stand straight and still on the ground with it - wouldn't even attempt a ladder.

Honored Contributor

.....Re: Trimming tree branches....

Well fudge....I wanted to do the job myself, I enjoy being outside getting projects done.  The three that needs work has been a real pain, it is dirty and grows like a weed.  It has been trimmed 2x in just a coupel of years.

At dinner tonight DH and discussed just taking it down.......

Now the next thing I want is an edger for the lawn, anyone one have one of those?  Black and Decker makes one that is a reasonable price....it just never ends.