Respected Contributor

I'm in my early 60s and back in the day when I participated - our neighborhood would have a few homes that didn't give out candy. Instead at one home the ppl made hot chocolate and at the end of the night you could stop by there for a warm drink and homemade treats other neighbors had contributed. 

Those that did not hand out candy had made homemade treats such as popcorn balls, marshmallow cereal bars, etc. and when you went to get your hot chocolate, you were given a bag with all the homemade goodies.  That would be pretty difficult to do today.

Trusted Contributor

We don't hand out candy and keep our porchlight off, but our neighborhood doesn't get many trick or treaters anyway.

However, folks in a  nearby neighborhood had quite a scare. A woman and a teenager appeared at the door (porch light was not on) not in costume, carrying clear plastic zippered bags. Teenager pulls up hoodie over his face, and they ring doorbell, knock, open storm door. They peer in windows, commenting on the contents inside the house and proceed to make racist comments and yell "the n&%$$s" are here for your candy!"

All of this is filmed/recorded by the homeowners RING video doorbell and the images were then immediately distributed via neighborhood social media.

Then people piled on the homeowner to chastise them for not participating!  SMH

Honored Contributor

No one showed up as usual. but I always have a bag of candy just in case. we live on a very dark,scary road with 1 other house and 10 acres of woods across the street. and no lights.  oooh--scary!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

I only ended up with ten groups after I posted last. I didn't mean to give the impression all mine were rude, there was at least one saying thank you each group, but I did have to pull back the candy bowl once there were some greedy kids! Ha, when we were young we'd switch up our costumes with each other and go back later as if we hadn't been there before if we wanted more than the one piece we took. Most all were cheerful and fun.

Honored Contributor

I'd be thrilled if we got 50 kids. 

I bought 5 bags of funsize candy bars and have about 3 bags left.  We didn't get many kids at all but they straggled through from 6 until 7:30 when it was over. 

Trusted Contributor

We had five.  Which is five more than last year or the year before that.

Honored Contributor

@StraytoStay 

@StraytoStay wrote:

I only ended up with ten groups after I posted last. I didn't mean to give the impression all mine were rude, there was at least one saying thank you each group, but I did have to pull back the candy bowl once there were some greedy kids! Ha, when we were young we'd switch up our costumes with each other and go back later as if we hadn't been there before if we wanted more than the one piece we took. Most all were cheerful and fun.

lOL cute story about your tricks.

Esteemed Contributor

I had TWO and I live in a young neighborhood.