Honored Contributor

Re: Tribute, with love, for Father's Day~❤️~

Dear @dooBdoo. You made me cry.

My wonderful 90 year old Dad is thankfully still here.

I have been very ill the past 14 months.  It is very scary. He has hung in there with us, bringing meals, or flowers, veggies from he's garden, hope, prayer, and encouragement.  Every day he comes and reads to me, just as he did at bedtime when I was a child.  We talk about everything, life, love, our animals, politics, being here, not being here...

I am so blessed,

Thank you for reminding me.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo This was beautiful, I lost my Dad back in 1995, my Dad and I were built from the same cloth, as stubborn as mule's with neither one of us willing to say we were wrong, we were estranged for 10 years, but 2 years prior to his passing we had come together and actually became closer than we ever had, thank the lord above that he showed us the way to reconnect, I cannot imagine how my life would be or how my heart would feel for the rest of my life if I had not had the opportunity to say good bye to my Dad and to tell him how much I loved him!

Long story short, life is far too short to stay angry over anything, whether it big or small, reach deep into your hearts and souls and never allow a day to go by without telling the people you love just how much they mean to you!

This Father's Day weekend I pray that my Dad is free of pain and that he is watching me from heaven still encouraging me and holding me, I miss you Daddy!

Trusted Contributor

@CareBears - your post has made me think a lot about my current relationship with my father.  We grew apart after the death of my mother 32 years ago.   I haven't spoken to him or seen him for the past 4 years...it's a long, complicated story.  But, I would feel horrible if something happened to him.  You're right, life is too short.  I will try to reach out to him and see if we can rebuild at least some of what's been lost.

And ... @dooBdoo - your tribute was touching...and so spoken "from the heart"!!

Esteemed Contributor

My father will be gone 12 years in October. My father was the hardworking , funny , smart and handsome dad. He was at times a overgrown kid. Always made time for us kids. I miss him so much. I was his favorite, the apple of his eye. I know for a fact he is with me... things have happened that I can not explain.. people would think I am "cray cray." But, it gives me comfort to know he is alright and watching over us. What a wonderful thread O/P thanks for starting this. I love you Dad!HeartHeartHeart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lOVETOSHOP It you do not try at least, then you might regret it for the rest of you life!

And may I add, Good Luck, sending positive prayers your way!

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure my dad's up there at Rainbow Bridge, with my dogs that he knew and the ones he owned.  I've got a bunch there waiting to see me too someday. 

When I was younger I didn't always get along with my dad. Both stubborn and bull headed they say, then came the time I had to help him till it was time for him to go. But I'm sure I'll see him again. 

Much to my surprise, no matter what went down in our lives together, I miss him. Guess that means, it was all able for us to get through. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Funny I should see this now.  I just wrapped my dad's Father's Day gift.  I chose a different type card for him than I usually do.  I usually praise him and all he has been and done.  This is the verse on my card this year:

Dad,

If you ever find yourself wondering if I still need you the way I did when I was growing up...... or if I ever think about the little things we used to share...........the answer will always be yes, Dad...be-cause no matter how many years go by, inside my heart will always be the little girl who loves and needs her dad.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant, I love that sentiment, that was beautiful. You'll touch him with that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@EdithEllenLily,  That's a lovely sentiment.   They're always with us in our hearts.

@alliswell,  I agree!  Beautifully written, and obviously deeply felt by the author.

@Squirt60,   Your first Father's Day without your dad.   My heart goes out to you and your dear mother.   How wonderful that they were together for 62 years.

@NicksmomESQ,   What a sweet post.   I know what you mean...  I'll always be Daddy's little girl.

@gmkb,   Yes, they are an important influence and direct us to the right path.   I'm glad you had someone special in your life to be this guide.

@RedTop,   Such glorious memories and traditions you share.   I, too, have always felt my father's presence and hope that never changes.   I believe the spirit can be strong and, no matter what our beliefs, these special people become a part of us that we carry forward in our lives long after our loved one has passed from this earthy plane.

@Pandalady,   I'm so glad your dad is still here with you, and I can tell you cherish him.   Thank you for those marvelous links!  

@dex,  I love your account of your father and the way he managed those situations with such love and understanding.  

@Drythe,  I'm so, so sorry you've been ill.   Your dear father sounds like he's also a dear friend.   I'm praying for you for strength and healing.

@CareBears,  What an important message you give us.   I'm gratified to know you and your dad reconnected and restored your relationship.   What a gift of the heart that was for both of you.

@lOVETOSHOP,  Your comment is an example of the way posters can give us real food for thought and even effect positive change in our lives.    I send a prayer for your relationship and wish you well.

@apple1964,   My dad was an "overgrown kid" at times, too!   I feel as you do, that my father is always there watching over us.  

@qualitygal,   I love your comment about your dad being at Rainbow Bridge!    How sweet, and what a nice thought.   And you're right, sometimes we go through challenged relationships but we still miss those people once they're gone.

@jubilant,   That's beautiful.    And, as you said, it echos the sentiments in the author's tribute to her father.

Just another "thank you" to each of you for taking time to share, to offer cherished memories, tributes, support, and to send good thoughts out to everyone.    You give comfort by doing that, in ways you'll probably never know.  You're all so generous and caring, and I think that's a reflection of these special dads.    We see them, and their best characteristics, in each of you.   I offer my best wishes, today, tomorrow, and each day to follow.

I'm profoundly touched by everyone's posts, but particularly want to repeat @CareBears' words:

"...life is far too short to stay angry over anything, whether it big or small, reach deep into your hearts and souls and never allow a day to go by without telling the people you love just how much they mean to you!"

~~~~~~~~~~~

❤️ and gentle (((hugs)))

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My father's been on my mind more than usual, lately.    It's an incredibly touching expression of love, from father to daughter.   It just as easily could be from anyone to a child who holds a special place in their heart.

The music is glorious on its own and the words, when sung, extend infinitely beyond a father-daughter connection. 
          Remember this line:  "Someday your child may cry, and, if you sing this lullaby, then, in your heart, there will always be a part of me."

We pass our love on and on.
          Don't stop the video when he gets up and walks away... watch all the way to the end.   (Just like his song, he didn't really go away.)

~~~~~~~~~~

"Daddy, what happens when you die?"

"Good night, my angel, time to close your eyes, and save these questions for another day.
I think I know what you've been asking me, I think you know what I've been trying to say.

I promised I would never leave you. And, you should always know wherever you may go,
No matter where you are, I never will be far away.

Good night, my angel, now it's time to sleep. And still, so many things I want to say.
Remember all the songs you sang for me when we went sailing on an emerald bay.

And, like a boat out on the ocean, I'm rocking you to sleep.
The water's dark and deep. 
Inside this ancient heart, you'll always be a part of me.

Goodnight, my angel, now it's time to dream, and dream how wonderful your life will be.
Someday your child may cry, and, if you sing this lullaby, then in your heart there will always be a part of me.

Someday we'll all be gone, but lullabies go on and on.
They never die...
that's how you and I... 
will be."

Please listen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRsT4oUEl9I

(If you don't like clicking links, please search for "Billy Joel - Lullaby Live" on YouTube.)

❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova