Honored Contributor

Did you or a friend ever have a tree house or did you ever put together an area of play as a kid?  We didn't have one, but this movie I'm watching has one.

Some of our basements as kids were great places to get together.  Mostly we did paperdolls and dolls in our bedroom.  

Sidebar: I laugh to think of it now, but one day we looked out our bedroom window and the youngest of 7 kids next door, climbed out his bedroom window, to walk over the little  roof over their dining room area, to go in the window next door.  He could have fallen and been hurt, but kids don't think of those things. We had a big two story house.  It was the best!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

When young we had a large land area backyard....we had

a tree house and we also had in the same area laurel bushes galore and other green bushes and we would ride

our bikes between them and make up roads....played with ginny dolls under a couple small birch trees that had a bunch of moss underneath....and the moss was their carpeting and the empty acorn shells were their bowls/dishes.....

YES ....such an innocent time ...great memories

Honored Contributor

My Dad built my brothers a tree platform but it didn't have sides or a roof. To get to it there was a rope with knots in it they had to climb. We lived on a farm when I was small so we certainly had lots of room to run & play, & many things to do.

Honored Contributor

WE didn't have a tree house, but we did play under ,and between ,towering lilac bushes. We each took a little emply place ,and set up housekeeping ,among the leaves and the flowers. What fun we had.

Esteemed Contributor

No....but we built "forts" in the basement with blankets....LOL

Honored Contributor

No tree houses for us, but wherever we were, we had numerous things to keep us entertained.   

In the winter, we rode our 5 ft sleds on the slopes near our house, played in our rooms, as well as the basement.   One corner of the basement was set up as my playhouse and/or school, complete with a poster size chalkboard.   I had real high heels, hats, handbags and jewelry for dress up.   

Across from our house, we had a shady outdoor play area in the summer, with nice areas to ride our bikes.   At different times thru the years, we found awesome grape vines to swing on in this same area, and we would entertain ourselves for hours seeing who could swing out the farthest.  (I built my house on part of this big lot).   I am amazed we did what we did as kids without more broken bones and serious injuries.   

Our maternal grandparents had 14 acres we roamed on weekends.   Nice shady pines where we built forts with sticks and pine limbs, and lots of open areas for us to ride bikes between our grandparents and aunts houses.   

Valued Contributor

Growing up in West Virginia, we didn't have tree houses but we sure played in them.  Built houses out of leaves but still climbed those trees.  Before my husband passed, a friend gifted us 4 days at Disney's Tree Houses.  What a treet, living in the trees, beside a river and seeing fireworks at night.  My husband died 3 months later and I am so glad he got his wish to stay in a tree house.  Thanks, Barbara.

Honored Contributor

@Fiero Woman When I was little part of our property had plum,cherry and apple orchards on it. We loved climbing those trees. My Mom would comment that she had had a herd of monkeys not kids. We did end up with a few broken & sprained parts though falling out of trees. It's just part of growing up.

Esteemed Contributor

The big oak tree in my childhood home. Natural knots and branches on the tree were perfect for boosting me into strong, upper branches. I even tied a rope from the strongest branch and created a way to step up the tree, while hanging onto the rope. A little trickier, but a different way to enter and exit my happy place. I placed throw rugs in the tree for more comfy sitting experiences. Conflict management training taught me this phrase -- before you say something in anger or have a meltdown - GO TO THE BALCONY in your mind to buy yourself time to decompress. My balcony is actually my childhood oak tree.      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau