Super Contributor

Traveling to Old Orchard Beach, Maine . . . suggestions?

DH and I will be traveling from NJ to Old Orchard Beach, Maine in October.  Our usual stomping grounds are Portland & Freeport.  Give us some ideas of where to stay, where to eat, and where to shop.  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Traveling to Old Orchard Beach, Maine . . . suggestions?

The Harraseekett Inn in Freeport is 'heavenly'. They serve afternoon tea and goodies each day (accompanied by a pianist and included in cost) which is delightful, the rooms are charming, and a block away from the shops and LLBean
Trusted Contributor

You'll be well placed to see the lighthouses nearby. Also the lovely town of Ogunquit with Perkins Cove and the Admirals Way footpath along the coastline. That whole area is just beautiful. We have stayed in several places around there. The last time we stayed at a B& B in Ogunquit called Abalone. It is right in town so you can park there then walk to everything or ride the tram. It was spotlessly clean and run by a very friendly gay couple. Prices should be pretty reasonable in October too.
Honored Contributor

I have to laugh whenever I head of Old Orchard Beach. Have fond memories of a vacation my parents, sister and I took to that area years ago. We'd never experienced the ocean in New England.

We got bathing suits on and headed for the beach. We soon discovered that the beach wasn't for swimming. The water was so cold that after a couple of minutes, you couldn't feel your feet. I don't think we got anything wet above our knees. I shiver to think of it.

My only suggestion is stay out of the water.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

You certainly won't be doing any swimming for sunning a beach in Maine in October.  It will be leaf peeping season.  If you are lucky, temps will be in the high 50's, low 60's.  Check out the following for vacation information.

http://www.oldorchardbeachmaine.com/

Respected Contributor

@Lynneuk wrote:
You'll be well placed to see the lighthouses nearby. Also the lovely town of Ogunquit with Perkins Cove and the Admirals Way footpath along the coastline. That whole area is just beautiful. We have stayed in several places around there. The last time we stayed at a B& B in Ogunquit called Abalone. It is right in town so you can park there then walk to everything or ride the tram. It was spotlessly clean and run by a very friendly gay couple. Prices should be pretty reasonable in October too.

Are you kidding????  October will be smack, dab in the middle of fall foliage season.  Hotel prices all over Maine will be at their highest for the year. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
We were on vacation in New Hampshire last year at the beginning of October and took an overnight to Ogunquit. We stayed at the lovely B&B I mentioned above for $99. Their summer price for the same room was $250, so I'd have to say I'm not kidding Smiley Wink
Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:
The Harraseekett Inn in Freeport is 'heavenly'. They serve afternoon tea and goodies each day (accompanied by a pianist and included in cost) which is delightful, the rooms are charming, and a block away from the shops and LLBean

It is wonderful there,use to go there.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.