Honored Contributor

My brother that lives in Georgia called and invited us (me and my husband) to visit for Thanksgiving.  I would like to go but it is a 10 hour trip via car and $600.00 each to fly....not to mention having someoe take care of our dog for at least 5 days.

I hate to say no but I don't think we can do it.  While my husband is a young 80 year old that drive thru Atlanta is more than we want to tackle.

We live rural and  sometimes just a busy interstate can be overwhelming when you are not used to it.  

I feel bad for him because there is no other family close, except for my sister in laws family...he gets along find with that side of his family but he wanted us to visit instead of spending the day with her family.   

I wish there was an easy way to tell him no.

Honored Contributor

Re: Traveling for the holiday

[ Edited ]

How about he and his wife come to your house for Thanksgiving?

Or meet halfway and celebrate Thanksgiving somewhere in between.

We're doing something totally different this year and will be staying in a hotel the night before Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving night.  We want to go to the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day parade because our little grandson will be in it.

We'll miss out on some family that day, but plan to make a visit with everyone we possible can.  Probably heading straight for Long Island from Philly!

At this point, I love to drive and my husband loves to ride.  Lol.

Respected Contributor

Is there a possibility to travel there by train or bus?

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    If he's more able to make the trip, why not invite him to visit you?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs What you said to us, you can with heartfelt honesty say to him.  I understand your concern and he will too.  The sooner it is done, the better you will feel.  Much support and love coming your way, sometimes family relations and current reality presents challenges. 😘 

Esteemed Contributor

You could drive and get a hotel on the outskirts of Atlanta. Then take a Uber to his house. A 10-hour drive isn't too bad. You should be happy that you have family to actually spend the holiday with! You may not have too many more such opprportunities in the future. It could be done easily in a 3-day window. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 They would be more than welcome to come here but my sil just had hip surgery and that long drive would be to much even if they took two days to get here.

There is no where within a hour to eat...I have no desire to cook a thanksgiving meal..I have never been a good cook.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Just tell him honestly what you have told us. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Kachina624 They would be more than welcome to come here but my sil just had hip surgery and that long drive would be to much even if they took two days to get here.

There is no where within a hour to eat...I have no desire to cook a thanksgiving meal..I have never been a good cook.

Honestly, she should be okay in another month after her hip surgery, if she's already had it.

You could order out.  I know grocery stores cook the turkey and the sides for you.  Or maybe your brother and husband and SIL could all chip in and give it a try.  Cooking a turkey isn't that big of a deal.  You don't have to tend to it every 20 mins like my MIL used to say all the time.  And you don't have to get up at 5 AM to start it either.  I don't know why she always told us that!  It's almost a *set it and forget it* kind of meat!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just tell him what you told us. I am sure he will understand. @Mom2Dogs  

Can you connect with zoom, skype, or facetime ? That is an option if you can’t be there in person.