Honored Contributor

Too often, in-laws get a bad rap.

[ Edited ]

My MIL and FIL are ten years younger than my parents were. My mom and dad have passed, and I feel blessed to still have my in-laws. I couldn't love them more if they were my own.  Their love and support has never wavered over the decades.  We'll be spending a couple of weeks with them in June and I'm so looking forward to it.

It seems, too often, in-laws get a bad rap.

Does anyone want to share good things about in-laws?  

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Too often, in-laws get a bad rap.

My in-laws have passed. FIL was a gem of a man. I was his first "daughter", having had two sons and no siblings of his own. Loved by everyone, with good reason.

MIL- not so much.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   What a NICE post!  I don't have in-laws, but have heard stories, both good and bad.  I'm so happy for you that you hit the jackpot!  Thanks for sharing.  Why not do something special for them, just because?  (you probably already do!)

Honored Contributor

I wished my in-laws liked us. My FIL died early on in our marriage. My MIL wanted nothing to do with her only son, me and our kids. She died alone thousands of miles away from her kids. Very sad.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@house_cat  What a nice thing to say about your inlaws. Have a great visit with them.  

My husband's parents were gone before we married (dh is 14 years older than me)....then both of my parents died at young ages!  I envy those that have family..siblings, inlaws, etc., that they get along with and are able to spend time together.

Respected Contributor

I must say being married and divorced twice, I always had the greatest inlaws, but the husbands, not so much. My first inlaws have passed and though I am no longer in touch with the second ones I still love them and have deep regard for them. They were all wonderful people.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

My MIL and FIL are ten years younger than my parents were. My mom and dad have passed, and I feel blessed to still have my in-laws. I couldn't love them more if they were my own.  Their love and support has never wavered over the decades.  We'll be spending a couple of weeks with them in June and I'm so looking forward to it.

It seems, too often, in-laws get a bad rap.

Does anyone want to share good things about in-laws?  

You are blessed.

I don't have any family that I'd even WANT to stay at hteir house for a couple of weeks.

I HOPE YOU KNOW....how lucky you are....

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

I had a wonderful MIL who was a really wonderful human being. It doesn't surprise me that my husband is her son. He is very much like her..

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I had a wonderful MIL who was a really wonderful human being. It doesn't surprise me that my husband is her son. He is very much like her..

How wonderful! Isn't that what life's all about? I can say the same of my MIL and my husband... I hope my future DILs can say the same some day.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

My FIL was a good man, ruined by an overbearing wife; MIL deserved her bad rap.  

My husband and our daughters are among the few good credits to her name.  She alone was the most difficult aspect of our marriage, and I was thankful my husband was not a mama’s boy, and for the 6 miles between our houses.  

She passed 8 years ago, and my memories of her are unchanged.   Our daughters do not have fond memories of their grandmother either.